Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:32 pm 

Anti Virus... haha.

Don't use any 8)

OS X's interface with the "file, edit, view" equivalent at the top chaning with each application, just not keen on that haha. I like everything to be self contained.

XP never asks me anything haha. and first thing i do with Vista and Win7 machines is totally get rid of the UAC crap so it doesnt come up AT ALL. (instead of the option in windows which just turns it off most of the time)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:22 am 
this post will only get more potential...
I can only say it will depend on what you want to do and what you can do. Computers are like cars or mobile phones, it's a question of tastes and what suits you better. For those of you that are not sure what to get MAC or PC, try to get what friends have (so you can get help, and advice for upgrades).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:43 pm 
Hummmmmm I'm going to get a iMac in december the 24 inch screen 3.06ghz... sweet :lol: and a CZ lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 pm 
I personally use and prefer PCs. However, the hardware really doesn't matter when it comes to photography as much as the software. Which software you use makes more impact than anything else and both OS have great software for photography.

As far as hardware goes I think a good monitor and printer will make more of a difference than anything else :P The Dell 3008 30 inch monitor with its S-IPS panel blows Apple's 30 inch Cinema display out of the water but can also be used on Macs so its not really a PC or Mac issue. Also when I bought my most recent laptop the LCD screen was a primary decision factor and I ended up buying the Dell Studio XPS 16 because of its gorgeous RGB LED backlit 1080p 15inch screen. Unfortunately its still a TN panel but the RGB LED backlighting makes a huge difference. Its the best LCD on a laptop at the moment until someone starts including better S-IPS or S-PVA panels for their LCDs with either White LED or RGB LED. Better yet OLED screens /drool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:26 pm 
Let me just put this out there for all you mac haters...

When i first started using a Mac I hated it. The interface didn't make sense and i didn't like the way the finder worked. I missed the Start button. But after being forced to use over time I became used to the way it worked. Eventually I realized that I preferred OSX to a Windows.

...So that being said, you can't just pass off apple like that. Give them a chance! Once you get used to it i believe you too will come to the good side. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:15 pm 

I had a macbook 1st gen. Core Duo 2Ghz 1GB ram 10.4

I installed windows, Photoshop ran heaps faster.

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:25 pm 
My MBP doesn't struggle one bit with photoshop.

I Think I heard some where that the fastest laptop to run windows was a MBP. Has anyone else heard this before? these 2 articals are from 2006 and 2007 so they are a little out of date but it proves my point

vista
http://www.pcworld.com/article/136649-3 ... _2007.html

xp
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/22 ... uo_laptop/

And with the new snow leopard (10.6) everything is supposed to run much faster.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:26 pm 

I kind of shy away from 2006 PC articles ;)

Snow leopard should bring some nice optimizations and tweaks though, just don't expect it to be a whole new experience. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:52 am 
I don't think anybody expects it to be radically different. I find Leopard not to be lacking in any major functionality for me, so a performance boost and a few security upgrades would be enough. I feel the same about Vista and Win 7 fixes all the performance and most of the security problems so I would consider that a success too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:37 pm 

Except we have to pay £240 for Windows 7 Pro instead of £100 odd for Premium.

I want the extra networking features :(

As for the MBP being fast for running windows, I'd safely assume the 2.6GHz Quad Core, 12GB ram dual Nvidia GTX280M GPU's and a trio of SSD's would JUST beat it. Maybe JUST beat the fastest iMac avaliable atm too ;)

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:56 pm 
Snow leopard is going to cost me a whole 10 USD (anyone who purchased there computer after june 8th 2008 gets that price) and anyone already running leopard its only 30 USD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 am 
DD_nVidia wrote:
As for the MBP being fast for running windows, I'd safely assume the 2.6GHz Quad Core, 12GB ram dual Nvidia GTX280M GPU's and a trio of SSD's would JUST beat it. Maybe JUST beat the fastest iMac avaliable atm too ;)

I doubt Tomis was taking a swipe at your i7 system DD. :lol:

The MBP was the fastest laptop at the time. Nobody should be buying a MB/MBP to run Windows anyway. Incredible waste of money, I see people doing this all the time at uni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:32 pm 
DD_nVidia wrote:

My mac mini could blow your i7 out of the water! :lol: JK!

Is that a laptop with 3 hard drives in it? (i'd hate to carry that around) or a desktop? and how would it compare to the 8-Core mac pro, with Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB ram, 4x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB, and some SSD's in it? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:46 pm 

It would play Crysis much faster for a start, and crush it involving anything requiring GPU rendering 8)

And YES. It is a laptop. And Yes, you can actually get a Core i7 Version, 3SSD's although I think 12GB Ram is the limit, 24GB once Samsung starts shipping 8GB SO-DIMMS

So yes, It would probably be just as fast as most peoples MacPros for the majority of tasks - e.g. instant. :lol:

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 pm 
Do you own this machine? it sounds very pricey!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next