Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:06 pm 

Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f2.8 Micro ED Lens
Mounted on a D80 Body, my first impression of the lens is it is a much more substantial piece of kit than any other of the lens combinations that i own. Compared with even the AF-S 70-300mm VR, this lens is great. It is of similar weight and size, but feels much more solid than the other. The lens is of standard Nikon layout, bar the gold band at the end of the barrel, denoting its “professional” nature and finish. I guess this means that it is comparable to Canon’s L series lenses.
Layout is conventional, with rubber band around the lens mount to provide a bit of environmental sealing. VR modes and AF toggles are at the base of the lens. It doesn’t have the two mode VR that the 70-300mm has, only on or off settings. (This is no great shakes considering that it is highly unlikely that you would use this lens from the back of a moving vehicle as the active mode is designed for). There is also a focus limiter switch, giving it full range AF, or 0.5m-infinity AF.
Distance focusing and set reproduction ratio focusing are possible thanks to the clear focus window on the top of the lens. Unfortunately it only has DOF markers for f32.

First impressions of the images produced by this lens are that they are stunningly sharp. They have that “bite” that i haven’t really noticed with other lenses so far, and to me, that is very impressive. Unfortunately i haven’t done any official style test shots for this, but i will direct you to the photozone.de webpage which has presented them on test with a D200 body: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-a ... rt?start=1

Autofocus on this lens is consistent and accurate, with very little in the way of hunting for the subject. It is also rapid and relatively silent!

My test shots were either taken with VR on, handheld, or using a Manfrotto 109XB Tripod. Also, i haven’t really taken the MB-D80 grip off when i have this lens mounted, i find that it gives that extra stability needed when shooting! Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask! They are available at 1024 resolution on my Flickr!
All have been minimally, if at all postprocessed

Mode: Aperture Priority
Aperture: f4
Shutter: 1/100
ISO: 200
Exposure Compensation: -0.7ev
Tripod

Shutter: 1/200
Exposure Compensation: 0ev
Handheld with VR

Aperture: f18
Shutter:1/25
Tripod

Aperture: f 4.5
Shutter: 1/80
ISO: 100
Handheld with VR

Aperture: f10
Shutter: 1/50
Tripod

Aperture: f8
Shutter: 1/50
Tripod

These two really demonstrate the sharpness of the lens, i find this quite stunning, even if the image isn’t particularly special.
Aperture: f18
Shutter: 1/25
ISO: 400
Handheld with VR

Aperture: f13
Shutter: 1/13
Handheld with VR

Shutter: 1/30
ISO:200
Tripod

Should post some more shots and impressions soon! Enjoy!

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27747651@N04/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 pm 
Nicely done. I've added your review to this list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:43 pm 

thank you!! 8)

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27747651@N04/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:57 pm 
awesome pictures, should post them in the Nikon 105mm F2.8 Micro thread in the Lens Gallery forum also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:16 am 
great write up!

I have had this lens for a few months and am absolutely in love with it! it is built like a tank and takes amazing pictures that blow me away every time :)

also, weather sealing is good! I was shooting some advertisement shots for a client who has a window cleaning company, and one of their squeegees spilled window cleaning solution on this lens while it was off the camera. I had a mini heart attack, but dried it off on my shirt and no problems with the lens! I dont recommend testing this out, but it's good to know it can take a little abuse!

here are some shots I recently took with this lens :)

----------------
Now playing: Calibre - Turn Around
via FoxyTunes