Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 pm 

i have calibrated my monitor and camera and my online prints look darker and the color is just a little off. someone told me that i need to get the icc profile that the printers use. all i can find is that they use sRGB. is there more that i need to know like gamma and white point? im learning so help. i have be taking all of my pics using adobe 98 color space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm 

Had a similar problem and invetsed in Colormunki Photo. The difference is very noticable and the results are now excellent. Ofcourse depends what budget you have.

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1115

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:02 pm 

All printers output in CYMK colour. sRGB is for screen and web viewing. Needless to say, if you submit a sRGB managed photo for printing, you will get inevitable colour shifts. The best thing to do is ask your printer for their ICC profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:46 pm 

i asked my local printers that and they dont know what im talking about. what all does the icc profile consist of. whats a good online printing. is adarama and whats there icc profile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:08 pm 

Oh boy....if someone could elaborate on this for me I would surely be thankful.

I had this pic printed yesterday....18" X 24"

The background is much darker.
The deer itself is much darker down its back,almost looks black.
Definately doesn't look like the pic above :evil:

What is an ICC profile and what good is it to me to get prints the same as what I see on my computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:11 am 

I googled this information sry if i didnt help

In color management, an ICC profile is a set of data that characterizes a color input or output device, or a color space, according to standards promulgated by the International Color Consortium (ICC). Profiles describe the color attributes of a particular device or viewing requirement by defining a mapping between the device source or target color space and a profile connection space (PCS). This PCS is either CIELAB (L*a*b*) or CIEXYZ. Mappings may be specified using tables, to which interpolation is applied, or through a series of parameters for transformations.
Every device that captures or displays color can have its own profile. Some manufacturers[1] provide profiles for their products, and there are several products[2] that allow end users to generate their own color profile, typically through the use of a tristimulus colorimeter or preferably a spectrophotometer.

The ICC defines the format precisely but does not define algorithms or processing details. This means there is room for variation between different applications and systems that work with ICC profiles.

To see how this works in practice, suppose we have a particular RGB and CMYK color space, and want to convert from this RGB to that CMYK. The first step is to obtain the two ICC profiles concerned. To perform the conversion, each RGB triplet is first converted to the Profile connection space (PCS) using the RGB profile. If necessary the PCS is converted between L*a*b* and CIE XYZ, a well defined transformation. Then the PCS is converted to the four values of C,M,Y,K required.
A profile might define several mappings, according to rendering intent. These mappings allow a choice between closest possible color matching, and remapping the entire color range to allow for different gamuts.
The reference illuminant of the Profile connection space (PCS) is a 16-bit fractional approximation of D50;[4] its white point is XYZ=(0.9642, 1.000, 0.8249). Different source/destination white points are adapted using the Bradford transform.[4]

i hope this help i didnt quite under stand it but it late had a long day and getting sleepy