Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:37 am 
Well i would have thought you'd get 2-3 stops max out of a monopod, but just remeber that the Sigma is under half the price of the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I think i can live with no IS and a monopod if it means a lens for half the price. Anyway if you want to discuss this further, you should start a new thread in the tripods section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:09 am 
Here's a good thread on our own forum comparing VR/IS vs a Monopod. http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1398

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:58 am 
As a student, it's hard to get money to buy Lenses. However, I was lucky enough to be in a school which uses canon stuff. Thus, I managed to get loans on my school's 70-200 f2.8. Although it had a fantastic bokeh, I would not buy the 2.8 version, due to its weight. I was at the recent National Day Parade rehearsal, with the borrowed 70-200 f2.8. My hands were aching after 20minutes of free hand shooting! Which made me decide on the f4 version due to its lighter weight. I haven't thought about IS yet.. Also, should i need the f-stops of 2.8, I have my 100mm Macro to cover the low aperture.

Canon EOS 50D | EF-S 17-85 IS USM | EF 50mm f1.8 | EF 100mm Macro | 580EX II | BG E2N

www.flickr.com/photos/p3n9u1n

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:17 pm 

I have bought the 2.8 non-IS, because it was just that much cheaper than the IS version. The choice was always between the 2.8 and the 2.8 IS because i loooove bokeh. Ideally of course I'd want the IS, you can always turn it off if you want. If I was loaded I'd swap the lens, but this one produces very nice images too. Te weight is not really an issue for my in terms of muscle-ache, but it does make you want IS just that little more. A heavy lens is more difficult to keep still after all. It's not a matter of big concern, there are a lot of other things I could spend my money on before switching the lens for its IS brother.

Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:18 pm 
Got to this thread a bit late but I own the 70-200L F4 IS and it is awesome!

I opted for the F4 IS version because the 2.8 weighs the proverbial ton and my primary use is out and about in the countryside. I do not want to lug a great weight around for many hours – photography is meant to be pleasurable after all.

Another point to bear in mind is would you actually use F2.8? Most of my shots require depth of field so I generally start at F8 so I would be buying a lot of class for nothing.

One final point. I have the Canon 1.4 teleconverter which turns the lens into a great semi macro. OK your not getting super close with this combo but if you want to capture a butterfly or dragonfly the 100mm is just no good because you have to get to close to the subject – the shot below was taken just over a metre away so the wildlife do not get to worried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:11 am 
I just thought i'd point out here, that i have a 70-200 f/2.8 (Sigma One, cause i'm a student :wink: ) and it's not that heavy at all, i have never once thought about the weight, so if your wondering which lens to go for between the 2.8 and the 4, don't let the weight be a deciding factor, unless your very weak!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:59 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
I just thought i'd point out here, that i have a 70-200 f/2.8 (Sigma One, cause i'm a student :wink: ) and it's not that heavy at all, i have never once thought about the weight, so if your wondering which lens to go for between the 2.8 and the 4, don't let the weight be a deciding factor, unless your very weak!

Machismo aside at 1570g the F2.8 IS weighs considerably more than the F4's weight of 760g.

As I said in my comments, if you intend to use it for extended periods such as all day in the forests/hills I think most people would notice the difference but then again I may just be a very weak tree surgeon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:52 pm 

I bought the 2.8 IS version as I need it for weddings, indoor receptions etc, so I wanted it to be as fast as possible. The weight is not an issue for me, though I do agree it is a heavy lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:15 am 
I bought mine mainly for Sharper Photograph's when I go our Photographing Trains. (Nothing less) I bought my Lens for $600 Dollars at B&H Photo. And I love this L Lens. It hardly ever comes off my Camera. This Lens means more to me than anything that I have ever owned. The good thing is. If the Camera where to ever stop working. I can always buy another Camera and still use this Lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Allan, as a slightly off-topic plug, don't forget you can support us by shopping at B&H via our partner stores page!

Post subject: 70-200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:44 am 
First thing I personally feel IS Technology is slightly overrated. It will not function as you may thing, a few stops is not as much as you may hope for. It is a lot less compensating but works very, very well.

I shoot in studio, along with portraits out doors with strobes, so I do not need the IS or the extra stops. I like the F/4 version because the contrast is so so good.

The price is unbeatable for the F/4 version, You can get this version if you like and you can always upgrade to the next if you feel it is inadequate; the resale value is great on this lenses. The focal length is tight on this lens so you will need some room to work it, but it works superb as a portrait lens.

Lastly these are all tools and they all work flawlessly. Budget and functionality will decide. I will say be true to yourself, and try to focus on what you need and not what you can get.

www.lawrencejamesphotography.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:07 pm 
I have to make a decision between the 70-200 f/4 and 70-200mm f/4 IS.

I like to photograph landscapes mostly which i would be using f/8 - f/14 (guesstimate). I have a nice tripod. And i have a prime lens for low light.

And suggestions between those two? besides $600 in price.

Post subject: go for the IS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 pm 

If you are considering the IS in spite of the cost, that tells me you can probably stretch to get one.

That said, I opted for the "state of the art" version even though I have a decent tripod and use it fairly often for landscapes and long exposures.

The nice thing about the IS is when you are not set-up on a tripod, or don't happen to have one with you...you can still pull off shots like this:

best of luck with your decision!

Canon 5D2 | BG-E6 Battery Grip | Canon XSi/450D | BG-E5 Battery Grip | Canon EF 17-40 f/4L | Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS | Manfrotto 055XPROB | Manfrotto 488RC2

Flickr <--Comments/Favorites welcomed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:50 pm 

I would have thought flying birds is one situation where IS doesn't matter so much. You'll need a fast shutter to freeze the motion. IS really comes in when you want to use longer shutter times risking camera shake.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:06 am 

Bought the 70-200 f4 IS. Thought strongly about the 2.8 IS but the price put me off. Between the f4 IS and 2.8 non IS I decided that IS is the way to go.

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next