Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 am 
:arrow: Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

I don't do a lot of telephoto photography, but I have some upcoming motor sport events where I'd like to get closer than the SMC 18-55mm gets me.
Is the 55-300mm going to be worth the AUD$600+ ?

I don't like the budget SIGMA lenses (a 200mm came with the camera which takes shots that are blurred on left side of the image)

I use an *istDS

Please don't recommend lenses that require I sell my car to afford :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 pm 

Optically it is a great lens. It is kind of slow, however, so unless you are taking pictures in broad day light, the lens won't be sufficient.

If you really need a lens for just that one day, why not rent a lens?

www.cameralensrentals.com

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:49 pm 
It's a very good lens, it has a lot of good reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm 
GLXLR wrote:
If you really need a lens for just that one day, why not rent a lens?

Thanks GLXLR,

The up coming events will be an ongoing thing, not just a one off.
I live in Far North Queensland, Australia - I know of no business that rents lenses., interesting thought though.

Thanks also LeDave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 am 

I have this lens and I use it a lot. It rarely (if ever) leaves my camera. I use it mostly for wildlife photography. It's a good lens... well-built, smooth focusing ring, mine hasn't shown any lens creep, and it tends to be sharp throughout its range. It is a little slow, so that might get frustrating, but it will give you an opportunity to perfect your manual focusing technique. Still, you might miss some shots unless it's really bright outside.

I've been fairly happy with my copy, but as of late I've been seriously considering an upgrade.... something a little faster, and with a longer range.

If I were in your place, I'm really not sure what I would do. :? When I bought this lens I paid less than $300 USD... I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay $600 AUD. Then again, I'm not sure what else is out there for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 am 
Hi jaxzwolf,
Thanks for posting..

I'm not into aggressive high FPS photography or making things hard for myself, I shoot when the light and conditions are good, otherwise I don't bother.
A slower lens isn't going to be an issue for me and frankly the auto focusing is even less of a drama, I tend to do more manual focusing when shooting cars in bright sun anyway due to the bright star points on chrome messing with the auto-focus sensor.

Basically what I'm after is a tele with a pretty good range, minimal distortion and CA.
The 18-55mm pretty much has stayed on the camera since I bought it three years ago (the lens) - it's a great all-rounder, but I'd like the extra reach.

Open to suggestions (within my budget of course :wink: )