Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:59 pm 

Oops, oh well, multiply by 4 then...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 am 
Most likely for the 70-200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:03 pm 
Well i broke my 80 usd tripod last night. Luckly i got it for free and i knew it was a cheap tripod anyway. so looks like a new monopod/tripod is imminent. the only problem is there's no money in the budget for one. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:46 pm 

I had a similar problem, mine (a 40 euro tripod) broke while a friend was playing with the legs... I had just spent my money on a flashgun. Whatever you do, don't rush it. You might be tempted to get a cheaper tripod just to have one asap, but you'll regret that later. Looking back, the tripod I got back then was not that good an option, as it's just way too heavy...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 pm 

Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
And I must say I was a little surpised by the quality of the G-lock system, and not in a good way. Perhaps it's because all products were demo-products, but the G-locks often got stuck and once fully extended, collapsing the leg wasn't as easy as I hoped.

Well look at it this way.
When I see a product that is as expensive as a manfrotto or a gitzo, and it fails at being handeld as a demo. I wonder how it handels a few years in my service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:57 pm 

You're right, but I would handle my tripod/monopod with a certain 'respect', so it would probably take much longer for it to get all messed up.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:13 pm 
Maybe the one you played with had recently been taken apart and put back together by some customer. hehe i did tore down one jus to see what was inside. But i think i put mine back together correctly. All the gitzo products i played with felt very well made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:12 am 

Here is a nice article to read on support in general

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:35 pm 
Oh yeah... I've seen that before. Its a great article. its kinda what convinced me i need to get a nicer tripod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 am 

well, after reading the article (and having a flexing vanguard tripod myself) I see verry good reason in investing in a good tripod and head.

But for a monopd? I mean huw much better can a 200 euro gitzo be compared to a 50 euro manfrotto?

The only thing I can think of it the build quality of the G lock system versus the snap lock of the manfrotto and the weight. But I can't see any other way that a expensive MONOpod makes the difference. It supports your camera, shure. But you still have to hold it still by yourself.

Since I bought a 80-200 lens without VR i'm in also in the maket for a monopod. But after browsing through a store with all kind of different monopods, I can't justify the cost of a gitzo? at least of the expensive 200 euro models.

As for a Ballhead on a monopod (I tink that Bjorn said something about that), Really right suff made a good point on their site that on a monopod only front to aft articulation is faverable to the allround articulation of a ballhead. Manfrotto manufactures some kind of leveling plat that can be mounted on a monopod, it hold 2.5 kilo's, and is only 35 euro's including a quick release system. Maybe it's something to tink about for everyone here to consider, and comment about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:23 pm 
Manfrotto make good products but they don't last like Gitzo. I plan to own this monopod for a long time and one lens on my wish list, the canon 400mm f/2.8 is a monster that requires this beefy of a monopod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:11 pm 

Well if gitzo comes in front of manfrotto when concerning build quality. Where does velbon fit in this picture? or don't they fit at all. I had a Velbon Pro Pod CF-7 in my hand, and on first glance it looked sturdy. But I can't find any good reviews on velbon as easely as i can find reviews on gitzo and manfrotto. I think its somewhere around manfrotto but not near gitzo, but can someone fill me in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:12 pm 

Ask Marijn / Citruspers, he's got a Velbon monopod... Or was it a tripod? Anyway, it's a Velbon product.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:03 pm 
I think he loves it. He has suggested it to me several times but I'm still not sold on it. He should post a user review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:07 pm 
So I was talking to my Canadian buddy, he was asking me about cameras and stuff. He has a rebel xsi or something similar. Anyway he was asking about wide angle lenses and I told him my dream lens was the canon 14mm, and he continued to ask about tripods. I told him about Gitzo and how they are pretty much the best in the world. So i talked to him earlier today only to find out that he now has the canon 14mm and the Gitzo traveler titanium edition! haha, I flipped! I can't believe he spent 2500$ on a tripod! I can understand justifying a couple grand for a lens but for a tripod thats no better than the 1000 dollar kits available. Unbelievable! I think he's trying to ruin my life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next