Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Experimentation
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:15 am 
I've seen a few mentions of people zooming in and out while taking a shot for a different effect, so I thought I'd give it a go. So I packed all my gear to go experiment and I only went as far as my lounge room hahaha.

I decided to choose one photo and experiment with different ways of editing it. So all the photos are the same original, just edited differently.

There are more than a couple so use my Flickr link in my sig rather than me posting the link to each photo.

Enjoy.

Jay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 am 

Interesting psychedelic effect!
Somewhat similar to people moving the camera while exposing. Viggo Mortensen (of LOtR-fame) and others have successfully tried this out to give their pics a special atmosphere.
See this example from luminous landscapes:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/1phot ... cers.shtml

And those from Viggo:
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/int ... folio.html

Both techniques can either give you:
- an impresion of movement - either you moving fast towards the subject or the subject moving (in on you)
- or it makes things seem transparent, phantasmal

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:33 am 
Nice examples Jay! I've been trying this out too and its quite fun to play around with. So far all those that I've taken look like the subject is at the end of a tunnel. What kind of shutter speeds did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:55 am 

Clicking on the "more properties" link on the flickr-pic-page reveals a 1.3sec exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:45 am 
Oh yea, I forgot about that feature. Thanks Thomas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:47 pm 
thanx for the comments guys.

Graham as for shutter speed I'd just say but adventurous and experiment, its half the fun. longer shutter speeds and more movement are only going to increase effect so have a play around, its almost like a combination lock there are many variations.

With zooming I tried zooming out of a whole shot then in on a whole shot, then lastly zoomed quicker so i could zoom in and back out in one shot.

Tom, those Viggo photos give me a weird feeling. Like I'm dehydrated and I need water, and I'm becoming delirious. haha

Also, I went to a student (photography) gallery tonight and I have to say I'm not a major fan of the more abstract photographs but it does me wanting try a whole lot of other things. Its good to see the different perspectives of what people classify photography as.

Jay...