Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Apple 10.5 Leopard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:20 pm 
Topic says all, I just got my copy in and I just installed it, check it out for your self here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:34 pm 
I do like the Time Machine function. Especially the option to use one drive for multiple macs, thats pretty sweet. But now that I think about it thats just basic file sharing, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:40 am 

They got drivers for the 8800 in 10.5 yet? 10.4 doesn't have any and its annoying having to search for modified .kext's that might not work, or indeed having to modify the kexts yourself! Would have thought it wouldn't be to hard since they support the new quardo, that or flash the 8800 bios so it become a Quadro, not sure if that can only be done on the GTX model though.

I watched the entire video tour a few days ago, and even though I don't have it, it was still good to look and see what they are doing, although most of it has already been done before by 3rd party apps, its good to have it built in and official support, although it does take away from the 3rd part devs who do that kind of stuff.

The main reason I didn't like OS X was that the interface was to "slow" they seem to use transistions to hide how the OS responds, on windows things just happen, when I move the window about there isn't any lag and its very fast, the mouse in OS X is also weird it seems to slow even with a higher sensitivity it just seems as if the mouse and cursor don't fit and don't go at the speed you expect - probably just becuase of my windows up bringing - 3.11 for Workgroups, OS X ain't got nothing on that!

10.5 is a very welcome addition, and they sorted out a lot of the style mashes that were going on which is a good thing, and the new dock seems pretty good although everyone will have to re-make their icons as some done them with shadows in the actual png file, but OS X renders them with a shadow now using the edge of the icon against the alpha chennel to create a nice soft shadow, so if it already has one, it then has two, which looks pretty weird.

Windows XP + Windows Vista + Ubuntu Linux + OS X 10.5

I'll have a Quad Boot system going on soon once I get another 2 x 40Gb drives to load OS X and Linux onto, although i'd prefer that I kept the linux one as an E-SATA if its supported as I don't want to many HDD's in my system.

Yes OS X runs on PC's although its particular about its hardware - OSX86 project (who have changed their name but google it and you get the link to the new site) was great.

Well long live Apple...if you give us the iPhone in the UK now, and put it on T-Mobile because O2 data plans are sucky!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:56 am 
I really want to pick this up but I'm frantically saving for travelling next year and every bit of spare cash is going into that or my camera. One day though... :)

I'm interested in seeing how Time Machine works practically. I use SuperDuper at the moment to create an image backup of my HDD to an external Firewire drive and the process is very smooth. I do really like the idea of incremental backups and being able to grab a single file though.

How is the new Finder layout? Does it work well?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:41 pm 

Leopard bears its teeth, crashes systems
It's never easy to be sure how many of these problems are down to finger trouble rather than software bugs but before you rush out and upgrade have a look at this article from bit-tech.net. Let's hope this is quickly sorted.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:31 pm 
There was also some stir about it over at Slashdot.

Anyway, it would seem this happens to Mac OS upgrades when some (badly designed) third-party software is running. Not to fresh installations.

As things are, it also seems Apple is the way to go, for people who want a new machine, as hardware vendors refuse to supply Windows XP with new machines, insisting on pushing Windows Vista - nice way to alienate your client base.

So I say, what the heck, why not try a system that actually works? If spending a few extra bucks now saves you a lifetime of frustration, go with Apple.

And the new iMac looks really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:06 pm 
It's like any new operating system and OS X Leopard IS a massive upgrade from Tiger. There is a lot of changes and new development under the hood as well as all the new features and so it's really not a small upgrade. As a result of this, it's going to have teething problems. I do notice stuff on a daily basis that aren't quite right but as a whole, Leopard is fast and mostly very stable. I'll be looking forward to using Leopard around 10.5.3/10.5.4 when it will be solid.

Time Machine works great though and the new Finder with quick look and cover flow is very useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:40 pm 

luis wrote:
As things are, it also seems Apple is the way to go, for people who want a new machine...

Might well be true - the MacBook Pro has received some very positive words as a Windows ( :!: ) machine. If my ancient ThinkPad ever dies and the Bank Manager is feeling generous then it's definitely one to consider.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:13 pm 
I have a Macbook Pro 2.33ghz the 2nd generation and I run windows as well as Leopard and its a fantastic machine for both operating systems! highly recommended.