Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:06 am 
Okay , this might be a weird question but there is always good advice on this forum so I want to post this .

I have noticed I have been editing a lot nowadays on the Imac , at times I notice I squint my eyes due to the hours I spend staring at the screen.

I know I can change the brightness on the screen but when I edit photos this might be a problem with editing. ...?

I also have to get real close to the monitor at times to be precise on the photos I edit. I know there is a zoom feature but I still need to get close at times... real close.

Is there anyway I can solve this issue? I am not sure if they sell screens of some sort or this may sound funny but.. editing glasses ?

Does anyone else have the same issues , how do you all resolve this issue? Any tips ?

I do not want my eye sight to go bad.
________
marijuana card

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 am 
You said it yourself, you're editing for HOURS. You need to take frequent breaks of about 10 minutes every hour or so or even more often depending on how tired your eyes get. What size screen are you working on? In what light are you editing? Are you using a tft screen or a CRT old school monitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:12 am 
It's not the brightness that's the issue, it's you staring at a computer screen for hours that's causing problems. Take a break, go for a walk or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:49 am 
I am not exactly sure which monitor it is, its the newer 20" imacs ?
I have it set at the lowest brightness. Yes I understand staring at a screen for hours is not good at all but even when I sit for 20 min I start to squint my eyes.

Thank God I have a good vision but I do need to chill out a bit and take breaks which I will be doing nowadays. I think I am a bit too close also , but at times I do need to get real close to perfect the picture even when it is zoomed .
________
Suzuki Katana AY50 specifications

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 am 
Don't do it in a pitch black room, oh and try and have a light next to your iMac on at all times when it's dark, i got a lamp for next to my screen and it helps alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:18 am 
You may find that you need glasses to view your screen without getting eye strain, when i started my HNC in computing software and system development
i was in the same position, had normal 20/20 vision but to sit at a screen all day did require me getting a pair of glasses to stop me getting eye strain,
even with regular breaks you may still find you get sore eyes. Go get your eyes tested and when you do mention that you sit in front of a screen a lot.
I only need/use my glasses for my computer nothing else.

...and some good advice already given - do not sit in a dark room as this will cause eye strain a lot quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:22 pm 

Also, regular top-ups of caffinee will help. 2 Litres of cola a night should be about right 8)

in all seriousness, eyestrain is annoying =/ I don't get it often but now and again if I've been working for a while it gets to me. The whole having a good ambiant light level works really well. Actually good idea to put a lamp BEHIND your monitor so the wall behind it is lit at around the same level and graduates out to darker as it goes away from your screen. Stops your eye having to struggle with really extremes of light and dark.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:10 am 
Thanks for the great information and tips guys. I have been taking regular breaks while editing. I also put a lamp behind my monitor. I also have picked up some vitamins that support eyesight , just so it helps keep my eyesight up do date 8)
________
Honda RC100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:37 am 
Could it be the glare? Apple's glossy screens are awfully glassy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:10 am 
Yes Apples screen are not the best for the eyes. Glare , I can fix my sideburns using the monitor screen as a temp mirror.

I just found this link posted below and changed my screen from black on white to white on black.

I noticed a instant change at the moment. I guess it will help when I am browsing online or reading articles or on forums , not for editing ofcourse , well maybe it would come in handy in some editing.

There is a way for Windows also .

At the moment I am trying to find a shortcut so I can change it from
B on W to W on B using a quick shortcut button from the keyboard instead of having to go to the system preferences .

Link - http://www.theblog.ca/mac-invert-colours
________
Ford F-Series

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:51 am 
Staring at a single object (i.e. your screen) for extended periods will strain your eyes. The eye blinks less when its fixated to a single object so after an extended period your eyes will dry out and cause the itching burning sensation. The blinking of you eye lids naturally lubricates the eyes and keeps them from drying out. Our natural human reaction of closing the eye lids and rubbing them is a direct reaction to combating this unintentionally.

If you can't help but stare at the screen for hours because the work is mandatory try and stare away from the monitor frequently. Purposely blink now and then or close your eyes for a second or two. Keep eye drops near by for when things get bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:17 am 
elro wrote:
Staring at a single object (i.e. your screen) for extended periods will strain your eyes. The eye blinks less when its fixated to a single object so after an extended period your eyes will dry out and cause the itching burning sensation. The blinking of you eye lids naturally lubricates the eyes and keeps them from drying out. Our natural human reaction of closing the eye lids and rubbing them is a direct reaction to combating this unintentionally.

If you can't help but stare at the screen for hours because the work is mandatory try and stare away from the monitor frequently. Purposely blink now and then or close your eyes for a second or two. Keep eye drops near by for when things get bad.

Great pointers. Appreciated it.
________
marijuana news