Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:10 pm 
Aside from IS, what is the difference of the results I would get with these two lenses? (My indecision as to which new camera to buy continues. Seeing the gorgeous large viewfinder on the D80 in person only made things worse!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:41 pm 

Hi Monelle,

yeah, looking through the D80 can be quite challenging for a Canon-minded :D
But: I'm a strict advocat of IS or VR (as Nikon calls it). So if you only look at the alternatives Canon 17-85IS vs. Nikon 18-135 (without VR) the decvision is very hard. The Canon lens has IS. The Nikon lens has a 50% advantage at the long end.
BUT: If you can invest a little more, go for the D80 with the 18-200mm VR lens. You get image stab plus the 200mm in one compact package. You'll never need anything else!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:23 pm 
Thanks so much for your very friendly reply, Tom. I am actually more Nikon-minded (call me a snob, but that name does something to me), and I was all set to get the D80 with the 18-200, when I read that caveat about the limited macro. My interests are landscapes, nature and flowers. Should I mortgage my house and keep looking upward? I'm coming from a PS Canon SD800IS, so anything will be a big jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Monelle, Thomas is right, the D80 with the 18-200mm sure is a great combination.

As for the Canon 17-85mm vs the Nikkor 18-135mm, the Canon is a classier lens - this particular Nikkor model is a budget kit lens, albeit a step up from their 18-55mm.

To compare their actual technical quality, open the same results pages from our Canon kit lens group test alongside the ones from our Nikkor kit lens group test and compare the various charts and figures. You'll also see results for the Nikkor 18-200mm there, so it could be handy...

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... roup_test/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:59 am 
Thanks very much, Gordon. I did try to compare the results of these 2 lenses from your reviews, but I found it difficult, since the photos are of different objects. I am now tipping back toward the Canon (but please do not lose too much sleep while I decide), but would like to know if I can expect that the Canon 17-185 will not suffer from the close-range loss that the 18-200 does ... ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi Monelle, the charts are of the same subjects and can be compared... have you clicked on the corner sharpness, geometry, vignetting results pages etc?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:22 pm 
Ah, no. Thanks much, Gordon, I had not seen those extra results pages at the bottom of the Results page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:46 pm 

Hi Gordon,

Monelles problem reminded me of my own, when I started reading your reviews. Me too almost overlooked the sub-heads/sub-tabs on your results page.
I guess it's because you read from top to bottom in the first tab, the page ends in some advertisement and your eyes shy away a little. In that visual context it's hard to detect the line "Outdoor/Resolution/Corner sharpness/..." as it's not underlined (like a link should be) or otherwise standing out from the rest of the page. Also the results-page is the only one with further sub-pages. So you are not expecting them!

Perhaps you emphazise the links a little more by placing more space between the links and the ads, underlining them and starting them with "further reading: " or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, were thinking of modifying the design slightly in the near future! You're not the first to have missed the fact there's six to eight seperate results pages in our reviews!

Gordon