Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:31 am 
hi, hows everyone doing here? its been so long.

cut a long story short. i've been using my k200d and my 2 lenses (kit lens and a 50-200mm) for couple months, im happy with them and have learned alot about photography. now im considering buying a wide angle lens. i did some research online, and i found something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Professional-Cameras-18-55mm-50-200mm/dp/B001QCQALE/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I305VBX5P5ZQYV&colid=29QVCYL4YP42C

it seems to be a budgeted alternative but ive also been told that these kind of lens are BAD and better not to buy it. has anyone used or currently using a lens like these? if so, how is it serving u?

im also looking at regular wide angle lenses, but like i said above, im a newbie, i need some advise on this.

thanks in advance!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:46 am 
You get what you pay for. Considering that a dedicated wide angle lens costs about $500, you really can't expect to get $500 results for $25, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:51 am 

Hi vic386,

I'd echo what pgtips wrote. It may be possible to get rid of some colour fringing (chromatic aberration) in post-processing but that still leaves a big question mark over coma. But if you are willing to take the risk and want to produce some "arty" results where edge and corner sharpness aren't needed then $26 may, just, be worth the price of admission. :?

But if you are after wide-angle panoramas of relatively static scenes then photo stitching may be the better way to go until you have the opportunity to get a dedicated DSLR lens.

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:53 pm 
pgtips wrote:
You get what you pay for. Considering that a dedicated wide angle lens costs about $500, you really can't expect to get $500 results for $25, right?

yea, thats why im also finding a common wide angle lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:04 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi vic386,

I'd echo what pgtips wrote. It may be possible to get rid of some colour fringing (chromatic aberration) in post-processing but that still leaves a big question mark over coma. But if you are willing to take the risk and want to produce some "arty" results where edge and corner sharpness aren't needed then $26 may, just, be worth the price of admission. :?

But if you are after wide-angle panoramas of relatively static scenes then photo stitching may be the better way to go until you have the opportunity to get a dedicated DSLR lens.

Bob.

thanks for your explanation.
so i guess the $26 one cant serve as a wide angle lens, so if i want to buy a regular one, which model would you suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:11 pm 

vic386 wrote:
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi vic386,

Bob.

thanks for your explanation.
so i guess the $26 one cant serve as a wide angle lens, so if i want to buy a regular one, which model would you suggest?

I heard those things give CRAZY CA and when you put it on a lot of details are lost.
For your price range, I'd suggest trying to get the DA* 16-50mm or Tamron 17-50mm while you still can. Or if you can afford it, the 15mm /f4 LTD, DA 14mm LTD, and DA 12-24mm are all great lenses.

www.flickr.com/glxlr