Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:11 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Hans wrote:
I don't think it's overpriced! It's new, small and gives very good results. There are drawbacks as with any camera, like the focussing speed and the lack of a flash, but for the rest it is as good as any dslr in the same price range.
And I am sure the price will drop in a few months.

Actually it is overpriced, when you actually consider what else is out there. Good as a D90 with 18-70 kit lens? I doubt it.

According to the tests so far, it is, concerning IQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:42 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
it is a new kind of product. They need to pay for the R&D and designer
But I'm convince that m43 will become more affordable when they are a bit mature from now. It is targeted mostly for compact camera users anyway.

the respond from usa market (via amazon) is actually pretty good, the e-p1 with kit lens $800 is in the top 10 best seller.

Definitely got a better respond than Panasonic G1 and GH1

i think that partially has to do with panasonic making their products too expensive for the average consumer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:08 pm 
Hans wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Hans wrote:
I don't think it's overpriced! It's new, small and gives very good results. There are drawbacks as with any camera, like the focussing speed and the lack of a flash, but for the rest it is as good as any dslr in the same price range.
And I am sure the price will drop in a few months.

Actually it is overpriced, when you actually consider what else is out there. Good as a D90 with 18-70 kit lens? I doubt it.

According to the tests so far, it is, concerning IQ

If you say so. At the same time, good old Ken Rockwell, thinks the D40 produces the same quality images as a D3. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't listen to 'the tests'. Are you saying it has as good an autofocus system, as good high Iso results, as good shutter lag, etc etc etc. If your answer is, 'yes it has exactly the same, or better', to all those questions, then I better rush out and by an ep-1 haha. It's all to do with what you use it for. If you use the EP-1 as your point and shoot which allows you can use your other Olympus lenses on then good for you. If you asked me to shoot an event with the D90 or any other DSLR, for eight hours, or the EP-1 what do you think I'd chose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:40 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
If you use the EP-1 as your point and shoot which allows you can use your other Olympus lenses on then good for you. If you asked me to shoot an event with the D90 or any other DSLR, for eight hours, or the EP-1 what do you think I'd chose?

The Ep-1 isnt built for professional work? Say it ain't so!

Yes the Ep-1 isn't exactly a multi-tasker, but neither is a Hasselblad, and I don't see anyone giving those cameras a bad name just because theyre only useful for a specific purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:51 am 
Atomic wrote:

The Ep-1 isnt built for professional work?

Don't tell a professional. They wouldn't care anyway.

There are times a professional want's to blend in with the crowd rather than stand out with a big black DSLR.

Professionals don't care what they use as long as it gets the shot they need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:
If you say so. At the same time, good old Ken Rockwell, thinks the D40 produces the same quality images as a D3. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't listen to 'the tests'. Are you saying it has as good an autofocus system, as good high Iso results, as good shutter lag, etc etc etc. If your answer is, 'yes it has exactly the same, or better', to all those questions, then I better rush out and by an ep-1 haha. It's all to do with what you use it for. If you use the EP-1 as your point and shoot which allows you can use your other Olympus lenses on then good for you. If you asked me to shoot an event with the D90 or any other DSLR, for eight hours, or the EP-1 what do you think I'd chose?

Of course I am not talking about AF performance. Like I mentioned: concerning image quality. At low ISO you cannot see the difference and at high ISO the difference is small (surprisingly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:27 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
If you asked me to shoot an event with the D90 or any other DSLR, for eight hours, or the EP-1 what do you think I'd chose?

And if I had to decide wether to carry that big D90 + lenses or the light EP-1 + lenses for vacation, guess which I would take...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:01 pm 

The only thing more amazing than the level of enthusiasm for the E-P1 is the matching hostility and anger. Either some people are mad Olympus didn't deliver exactly the camera they wanted or some elitist DSLR code was broken with the E-P1 merely existing and being popular.

Fortunately, this thread at Cameralabs is the only example of this, but at dpreview.com, it's another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 pm 
PrinzMegahertz wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
If you asked me to shoot an event with the D90 or any other DSLR, for eight hours, or the EP-1 what do you think I'd chose?

And if I had to decide wether to carry that big D90 + lenses or the light EP-1 + lenses for vacation, guess which I would take...

Horses for courses. You'd take the EP-1, I'd take my D700, 24-70, 35mm F2D, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 180mm F2.8.

Don't suppose you'd take your EP-1 on a safari trip would you :lol: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:45 am 
OH almost forgot!

In the camera's defense, the price is so high primarily because of the video enabled sensor. Look at the price difference between the G1 and the GH1... It seems this sensor is very advanced and was costly to develop.

In my mind, the camera would have done well to be released in two flavors like the G1 was; with video and without.

However I guess Olympus came to the conclusion that the compact camera buyers would not be willing to give up their video functions in their Point and Shoots.

And hence the huge price-tag. But no worries, technology drops in price very fast after release. Demand or not, high production volumes of the sensor will bring the price down., simple as that.

There, can we lay this subject to rest now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 am 

I thought the G1H's high price tag came from the bundled lens, which is optimised for use with video. In itself, enabling a sensor to do video shouldn't make that much price difference. Even much cheaper compacts have been doing HD for quite a while now.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:58 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
PrinzMegahertz wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:

Horses for courses. You'd take the EP-1, I'd take my D700, 24-70, 35mm F2D, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 180mm F2.8.

Don't suppose you'd take your EP-1 on a safari trip would you :lol: :P

Sure, I could use my Zuiko 70-300 with it :D .Anyway, a safari is more of an event that you are prepared for beforehand. The EP-1 is a camera for always having with you - you go into town, see something interesting and have the right tool at hand to capture it. I doubt you have your D700 with all those lenses with you at all times. Both cameras are for different purposes and I think both have a reason to exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 am 

popo wrote:
I thought the G1H's high price tag came from the bundled lens, which is optimised for use with video. In itself, enabling a sensor to do video shouldn't make that much price difference. Even much cheaper compacts have been doing HD for quite a while now.

Yeah, the high price of the GH1 is the lens, optimized for video. You don't have that excuse with the E-P1. The sensor in the E-P1 is not cheap in itself, but video doesn't factor much in the equation.

But in other forums, there is this weird assumption that a camera that looks like a compact should be priced like a compact. E-P1 suffers from that, even if bonafide compact cameras like the LX3 or the G10 are already close to entry-DLSR-level territory in terms of price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:47 pm 
Three things that will make me rush out and buy an EP-1. Lower the price by £200, introduce a 25mm f1.4 pancake prime, and introduce it in black.

That would quickly become my everyday camera and I'll leave my DSLR with assorted lenses at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:39 pm 
pgtips wrote:
Three things that will make me rush out and buy an EP-1. Lower the price by £200, introduce a 25mm f1.4 pancake prime, and introduce it in black.

That would quickly become my everyday camera and I'll leave my DSLR with assorted lenses at home.

hopefully ur dreams come true in form of Panasonic GL1 / LX5 hehe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next