Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 am 
Thank you for the welcome.

I fail to understand why I'm the one being accused of getting personal?

Why should someone be allowed to call a camera "dumb" and not expect posts like mine?

How would he expect people that just spent that amount of money to feel when he claims it to be "the dumbest camera of the year"? Very negative post that doesn't help anyone.

Camera Labs should be encouraging positive posts, NOT posts that make ugly remarks about a camera that he thinks is "dumb".

This poster is certainly not someone I'll be taking ANY advice from, nor should any other readers/posters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:44 am 
What & why its dumb?

Even its just a simple DSLR mechanism & I'd bet people still rant about the Price Tag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:58 am 

Hi Robbie,

The difference is that the OP criticised the camera and you then made disparaging remarks about the OP. Don't go there! Yes, stick up for the camera by praising it's virtues, as I have done myself, but don't call other members names or I'll have to put my Moderator's hat on. :evil: :wink:

But you do make some valid points about the camera as well so I'm just concerned that you enjoy your time here. Again, welcome. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:43 am 
ok i understand.. BUT, he is criticizing everyone that bought an e-p1 by saying "dumbest camera of the year". how do you think that makes everyone that bought one feel?

That should be more of your concern.

How can you defend someone that opens a post saying a camera is "dumb".

So should i just open posts about how dumb it is to buy a Nikon D3 because its so expensive.. No, because it is pointless and doesn't help anyone.

This is exactly what the OP has done yet when i confront him i get "warnings" from a moderator..

I'm not trying to be controversial or call anyone any names, i just think that posts should be more constructive and not about calling camera's "dumb" when there are people here that have paid good money for them and don't need to hear this type of negativity..

I'll leave it at that, no need for the moderators hat ;)

Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

As Bob says, we have a strict no name-calling policy here - as stated in the rules - but at the same time, the subject heading of 'dumbest camera' is also a bit unfair and confrontational, so I've reworded it to 'overpriced?'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:25 pm 
The original title was a bit offensive. I sure do wish the EP1 was cheaper though. I wouldn't mind getting one if it was about $400. But I suppose there's always a premium for being the latest and greatest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:07 am 
the key thing to consider with the pricing is that we are looking at the initial LAUNCH price. give it a few months and the price will surely drop. aside from that, the e-p1 looks more like a point & shoot because that's the crowd it is trying to capture, the p&s market.

there will soon be an Olympus m43 camera that will have an evf and such, they've already stated that it's in the works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:46 pm 

I don't think it's overpriced! It's new, small and gives very good results. There are drawbacks as with any camera, like the focussing speed and the lack of a flash, but for the rest it is as good as any dslr in the same price range.
And I am sure the price will drop in a few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 pm 
popo wrote:
As an owner, I took it for all its advantages and faults. Given the negative tone of the 1st post, I'm surprised the AF speed wasn't added.

Yes, compared to entry level DSLRs, it's expensive and lacking in some features. But it's also smaller. Small is a feature. If that doesn't have value to you, fair enough, get a DSLR.

Anyway, gave mine a bit of a workout today, pics later :D

The price right now will be at a premium as it only just came on the market and demand is higher than supply. Give it a month or two and it might start to settle into a "typical" price which is more reasonable comparatively.

Lol popo, I think we can say you're bit of a cameralabs special case haha, just based on how many DSLR's and different branded cameras you own :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:03 pm 
Hans wrote:
I don't think it's overpriced! It's new, small and gives very good results. There are drawbacks as with any camera, like the focussing speed and the lack of a flash, but for the rest it is as good as any dslr in the same price range.

Actually it is overpriced, when you actually consider what else is out there. Good as a D90 with 18-70 kit lens? I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Hans wrote:

Actually it is overpriced, when you actually consider what else is out there. Good as a D90 with 18-70 kit lens? I doubt it.

Can you fit a D90 in your pocket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 am 
Atomic wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Hans wrote:

Can you fit a D90 in your pocket?

Can you fit the EP-1 in YOURS? :roll: No, that's why I have a Canon compact for when I do need something that fits in my pocket. Most of the time though, I actually don't NEED something that fits in my pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 am 

I do agree that you need a hefty pocket for the E-P1. With the kit zoom on, it does easily fit in my trouser pockets, but it does feel very bulky and I wouldn't want to carry it like that for any amount of time. Maybe it'll be better with a pancake on it. Realistically, there's no way I could fit any other DSLR I have in my pocket if there is a lens on it.

Again, I'd say the advantage is you really do feel the lack of weight over a DSLR, while retaining a large sensor which would be lost if you were to go down to a compact. Also it attracts a different kind of attention. At my recent kitty shoot I was asked if it was a film camera. :)

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:23 am 
it is a new kind of product. They need to pay for the R&D and designer
But I'm convince that m43 will become more affordable when they are a bit mature from now. It is targeted mostly for compact camera users anyway.

the respond from usa market (via amazon) is actually pretty good, the e-p1 with kit lens $800 is in the top 10 best seller.

Definitely got a better respond than Panasonic G1 and GH1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:08 pm 

As good as they may be in their own ways, the G1 is a bit too DSLR-like to be really different, but their rumoured E-P1 like model should be interesting depending on how much they manage to squeeze into it, and at what price. By default I'm pretty much in Oly's camp there, as I prefer a body IS over lens particularly at shorter focal lengths.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next