Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: ASUS EEE PC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:09 pm 

I've just heard about these little beauties.

For those of you that haven't here's some info:

Asus Website wrote:
- 7" compact design and only 0.92kg
- Durable, shock-proof solid-state design
- Rich network and wireless connectivity
- Graphic user interface for simplicity and ease of use
- Over 40 built-in applications for learn, work and play

Share photos of your travels without waiting till you get home. Shop the world wide web without attaching any lines or wires. Learn through the latest technology without a technical manual. Play, relax, and entertain on the go with shock-proof design. Connect with friends and family with just a few clicks.

Mobility & Reliability
• At 7" and weighing only 0.92kg, you can take the Eee PC anywhere.
• Bumps and shocks are no longer issues. With a dependable solid-state disk, you get unparalleled shock-protection and reliability.
• Power-efficient design provides longer operating time when on the go.

Ease & Technology
• With a rapid start-up time, the Eee PC is always ready to get into action.
• No technical manual required with the specially designed, user-friendly and intuitive graphic interface.

Work & Connectivity
• You’re always connected with built-in WiFi 802.11 b/g that automatically detects and connects to the Internet at any hotspot.
• The Eee PC includes the documents and the e-mails software, and a suite of other productivity software to help keep you on track.
• Upload photos and videos and share them instantly on Flickr or YouTube without waiting till you get home.

Media & Entertainment
• Enjoy music and videos with extensive support for a wide range of digital multimedia. • Log on to Skype or other network, and you can connect with friends anywhere, anytime. • Clear up wire clutter with the built-in card reader, camera, speakers, and microphone.

They look great for a highly portable device. I wonder how it would work as a card reader to transfer photos from a memory card onto a USB hard disk. They are extremely cheap too, you can buy them for a little over £200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:35 pm 

Hi Phi,

It's hard to argue with the price but, as I understand it, they come with Linux as the OS. That could be a problem unless you can find good software to work with your camera. If it were just a matter of storage I think carrying a couple of extra CF/SD cards might be simpler. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:57 pm 

You can also install Windows XP or Vista. Maybe a possible subject for one of your PCW columns Gordon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:40 pm 
AFAIK there is very little storage space left over, so you'd be using usb keys and external hdds. Review here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Good idea Phil! I'll look into it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:40 am 
8GB is coming out soon. No larger screen version for now. Great for note taking and quick web surfing, e-mail, skype, and the occasional divx video well from what I have heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:33 am 

It was just announced that a 10" screen will be released sometime next year. It really seems like Asus is shooting themselves in the foot with an upgrade announcement so soon after the initial release. Either way, it looks like the Eee PC is getting some pretty good reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:17 pm 
seattlesteve wrote:
It was just announced that a 10" screen will be released sometime next year. It really seems like Asus is shooting themselves in the foot with an upgrade announcement so soon after the initial release. Either way, it looks like the Eee PC is getting some pretty good reviews.

Notebookreview.com says that this is untrue. Maybe Asus realises this too and doesn't want to hurt their current model's sales? Or maybe it is just a rumour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, I got hold of an Eee PC yesterday and first impressions are good.

Easily connected to a number of wireless networks and the Firefox browser resolves pages (and plays Youtube videos!) fine. Just wish the screen was 1024 pixels wide to better handle most sites without scrolling, but then there's only so much you can complain about at the price.

And the portability factor is very impressive.

If you've got any Qs or suggestions for it, I'll try to try them out, but can't guarentee anything as there's lots on at the moment!

PS - I will try opening some big camera images direct from the SD slot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:01 pm 

I'd like to know how fast it can transfer files from a SD card to an external hard disk. I'd also like to know how good the screen is for viewing photos on to check their quality. I'd also like to know whether you can run a remote access client such as Logmein with it.

I've read that early models have an internal mini PCI Express port and later ones don't. What is the situation with that? I'd also like to know why ASUS prevent memory upgrades with their warranty sticker on the expansion door.

What are your impressions of the Xandros build it comes with? Is it worth sticking with or is another Linux distribution or XP a better choice?

Also Gordon you may be interested to know that on another forum I visit (http://www.eeeasypc.com) the website owner has installed Vista on his EEEPC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:02 pm 
How's your PCWorld column called? :)

Solid state memory as a replacement for a hard disk drive is an interesting concept. I wonder how much it expands battery life - it should be a lot, considering there is no motor rotating a disk.

I seem to recall, however, that you mentioned on other thread that solid state devices had a limited life expectancy for reliable read/write operations (this was in the context of how many times one could format an SD card). Or am I mixing two different concepts/technologies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:09 pm 

The Xandros distribution that comes with the EEEPC has been written to minimise writes to the SSD. It doesn't use a swap file for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi Luis, I have two columns in Personal Computer World! One's called Inside Information and the other one is about geeky modifications and is called Hands On Hardware / Performance.

Phil, great suggestions and I'll certainly be doing most of them sooner rather than later. Quick update for now though - I just installed GIMP on it and it seems to run pretty well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:48 am 

I couldn't help myself. The gadget lover in me forced me to order a black one. I have no idea when it will arrive since they are in such short supply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Phil, as a preview for you, I plugged a Seagate 160GB portable disk into the Eee PC and copied a full 1GB SD card directly onto it. I then did the same on a desktop PC using a USB 2 card reader.

The desktop PC took 109 seconds and the Eee PC took 160 seconds.

I think that's more than acceptable and the Eee also seemed happy to power the drive from its USB ports.

Gordon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next