Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3D Fun with Photoshop
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:22 am 
Been playing around with Photoshop today after I saw this tutorial and thought I'd give it a go.

Admittedly the dolphins could do with a bit of polishing around the edges, but it's quite effective. The example in the tutorial looks better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:02 pm 

Nice job...extracting a specific part of an image can be tough.

There are quite a few ways to do it, take a look at this site that goes over 5 of them:

Extract a Selection from Photo in Photoshop

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:18 pm 
Thanks Mitch, that tutorial is useful, I've never tried the 'extract filter' before and it looks like it gives good results so I'll try that sometime.

Here's another one I did, but this time there was a lot more contrast in the colours so it was easier to cut out:

Got to work on my lines though, I always end up with one longer than the other and it's never symmetrical!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:48 pm 

The horse photo looks even better.

As far as your lines go use the guide lines built into Photoshop, they will make it a million times easier to get 100% perfect lines.

Check this out:
Photoshop - Rulers, Measure tool, Guides, & Grids

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 pm 
Thanks Mitch, I didn't realise you could float a grid over an image to line things up. that's what I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:36 am 
Great job Mark, the horse one looks even better than the dolphin one. This reminds me of those pop-up picture books. I wonder how one would go about printing these kind of photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:02 am 
Thanks Mark for the examples - nicely done.

Thanks Mitchel, for those links.

/off-topic
It would be nice to have all these in a new section like Tutorials or HowTos.
No pressure on you Gordon, but how's the tutorial coming along ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:22 am 
Thanks guys! Not sure about printing...I think images like this look better on the screen...especially on Flickr where the image background is white and Flickr's background is white. I tried looking at Camera Lab's source info to see what shade of gray is used, but I could only find one gray value and it is slightly different.

Does anyone know how to sample a colour value you see on a webpage in kind of the same way you can use the eyedropper tool in editing programs?

I think a tutorial section would be good David. Maybe even something like I've seen on other sites where someone kindly posts an image that they don't mind sharing and then the others download it and see what they can do with it. People list what steps they have taken with the image and it's a good way of learning and sharing techniques and see what different effects can make to images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David, if there was a let-up in the camera reviews, I'd have them all done by now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:13 am 
Gordon wrote:
if there was a let-up in the camera reviews, I'd have them all done by now!

Yes, We all know you are extremely busy with the reviews of lenses and compacts and new cameras... you have dropped plenty of hints here and there on the forum..:o which is good.

I was just letting you know, we are still here..
waiting ....anxiously ...but also patiently.. :wink:

No pressure, Gordon, No pressure.. hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:00 pm 
Can this be done with photo shop elements?