Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:10 pm 
Does anybody think i should buy the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens for my 40D for about £245. The only thin thats stopping me is that it is from hong kong or china and im wondering if it is worth the risk and wondering if anyone has had any similar expieriences, good or bad. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 pm 

Hi photo_fofo,

The Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP got a very good review here. Be particularly careful buying from China and be almost as careful buying from Hong Kong. Not only are there some scammers but even from the more reputable sites you need to be sure what price you will pay, particularly as the lens should attract both VAT and, I believe, import duty. But if you can save £80 or more over the best UK prices maybe it's worth it.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:00 pm 
Thanks for the help Bob, i've read loads of reviews and they all say its great but should i just pay the extra and get it from a reliable source or save the money and take the risk. The best review was in this months Digital Camera group test and it came out at 95% above all the others tested (including Canon, Sigma, Sony and Nikon equivilants) and also the cheapest so i looked around and found loads on Ebay but all from Hong Kong or China. I was wondering if anybody has had any expierience with this kind of thing. Also, what companys have good reputations? Thanks for the help again.