Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:07 am 
I decided to buy a Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip yesterday for my Canon EOS Rebel XSi, aka 450D. Grip is also compatiable with the T1i (500D).

Front view, the electrical contacts are protected with a plastic cover so they don't get damaged while being shipped or handled. The large dial controls the mounting screw to secure the grip to the base of the camera.

Shutter button and control dial to use while shooting in portrait orientation.

An On/Off Switch, Exposure Lock, AF point, and Exposure buttons are found in the back. The On/Off switch does not power the camera off/on, it activates the controls on the battery grip so that you don't accidentally hit while shooting in landscape.

The grip comes with two magazines that slide into the BG-E5 grip. One allows you to use up to 2 LP-E5 battery. The second magazine allows you to use 6 AA battery to power your camera.

Although you can use 2 LP-E5 batteries to extend the shooting time of the camera it will work with just one battery.

To attach the grip you simply pull off the battery door cover, It pulls right off, and slide the grip in and secure the mounting screw with the large dial.

Before and After:

Pros and Cons

Pros: Shooting in portrait is an absolute pleasure with the grip. Can "extend" the shooting time of your camera without hassling with changing out battery. Allows use of AA batteries if you so choose to. As far as camera accessories go its relatively cheap at just over $120 from Amazon. Adds some much needed weight to the XSi/450D to help balance heavier lenses.

Cons: Lack of weather sealing but that is nothing new or surprising. Adds weight to the camera, while this will be a Pro to most, it may be a con to some. After feeling the grip while shooting in portrait mode you really realize how small the regular grip on the XSi is.

Spent the day at the Korean National Museum after buying the grip and I have to say again shooting portrait style is such a pleasure now.

Last edited by elro on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:26 am 

Nice review.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:08 am 
Nice review, i have always been thinking of getting one of these for my 40D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 pm 

I ordered one of these and also 430 EX II a few days ago, had to.. :D Reviews are always much better when including many pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:29 pm 
Nice Review I'll get this for my 450D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:26 pm 
nice lens as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:11 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
nice lens as well

Thanks, the pictures not including the camera body were taken with the 60mm F2.8 Macro USM. The ones with the body were taken on my Panasonic DMC-FZ28 Super Zoom compact. Finally the museum picture was taken on the 50mm F1.4 USM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:33 pm 

Got it, finally :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:02 pm 

nice review.
i have one of these on my set up and i feel like a pro :)
i find that it really helps when using a heavier lens ie.17-55 and or with a big flash gun. Its definately a must get. my grip is on 99.9% of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 pm 
podgeorge wrote:

Same here. I've just never considered it a mandatory piece of equipment. There's always something i've needed more than this. but pretty soon i plan to buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 pm 
Pikkuroope wrote:
Got it, finally :wink:

Nice, how do you like it?

Tomis wrote:
Same here. I've just never considered it a mandatory piece of equipment. There's always something i've needed more than this. but pretty soon i plan to buy one.

I have never considered it a mandatory piece of equipment either. You can definitely get by without one. However like many things in life, this is an item that just makes life a little easier and convenient. Its also one of those items that makes you wonder how you got by before it :)

I've debated buying one myself for quite some time like many of you. What pushed me over was the relatively low price and some spare money I had burning in my pocket. My next purchase will be a Canon 24-105mm F4L next month so it felt cheap compared to the $1100 tag for the lens lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:07 am 
Tomis wrote:
podgeorge wrote:

There's always something i've needed more than this. but pretty soon i plan to buy one.

That's my problem :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 am 
podgeorge wrote:
Tomis wrote:
podgeorge wrote:

There's always something i've needed more than this. but pretty soon i plan to buy one.

That's my problem :roll: :lol:

A 40D is physically larger, heavier and are much better balanced when combined with larger lenses then the 450D. The before and after impression should be much more profound on a smaller body like a 450D as a result, so I would imagine a 40D wouldn't "benefit" as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 pm 
Now that i've got my 70-200mm f/2.8 I'm seriously considering it. but i also need batteries for my alien bees and a monopod, I can't decide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:02 pm 
Tomis wrote:
Now that i've got my 70-200mm f/2.8 I'm seriously considering it. but i also need batteries for my alien bees and a monopod, I can't decide!

How bad is the balance?