Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:18 pm 
Nice colors. The photos look undexposed and a little soft for my taste. Did you have IS on? The bokeh on the first photo looked a little smeared almost oil painting like. Kind of strange. Are the photos that we are seeing 100% crops?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:18 am 
yeah i cropped it so i took another pictures today and didnt change or crop it..

thanks for the comments..it matters to me..so that i will learn how to use my cam..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am 

This is one of the first photos taken with my new 50mm F2.0. The image is flawed; however, it is a part of the learning curve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:47 am 
cool..

really the 50mm macro is really a great lens huh...

keep taking pictures hehehe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:50 am 
i just got my E-420 and the first two things i did was buy a book on dslr,s and i read that with my manual.

Best way of understanding A DSLRS and B your DSLR.

happy snapping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 am 
I'd like to respectfully disagree.

The best thing about digital cameras is the ability to see photos right away. You can see the effect your changes in settings have on the picture the moment you take it. Trial and error are the best teachers I feel. When I got my E-500, I had no SLR experience, no knowledge of photography, not even the camera manual. I never once set the camera to auto, in fact I had no idea what the "A," "S," or "P" modes where on the dial, but I knew M was manual, so I left it in manual until I figured out more about it. It wasn't long [by the end of the evening for certain] that I had already had a good grasp of exposure and metering. I hadn't quite understood exactly what "F" was but I knew the smaller number allowed me to use a faster shutter, and I figured out that it was somehow related to the specifications of the lens.

This was less than a year and a half ago for me, I liked to think I've come a long way without ever really reading a book or using a manual [aside from the occasional camera specific technical inquiry.]

Between trial and error, and the occasional googling of terms, anyone can master a camera without any outside aid, at least on an entry level camera.

The trick is to actually be excited to learn. Theres no greater feeling than just holding the camera and knowing nothing about it, but wanting to know EVERYTHING; you just dont want to rest until you understand what everything means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:29 pm 

Atomic: You are correct. Back when I first started (1977) I used a Minolta SRT-201. I took many photos at many different settings. By the time that I received the prints and slides back from the lab, I had no idea which prints went with which set of settings.

I was not a full-time photographer and I had other things to do while I waited for the prints to be returned. So once the prints showed up, I had to start over. Now I can take the photo, view it on the camera, load it on the computer, edit it, and print it all within a few moments.

This is a great way to learn from my mistakes and make adjustments and as an added bonus I do not have to pay for horrible prints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 pm 
the first thing i did when i got my e-520 last monday was to take pictures in the next day..and i tried to cropped the first one...

dont really know about A,Raw,P and S..

Im willing to learn...didnt read the manual yet , books or any dslr stuffed..
but i wana make my pictures look great one day :)

thank you guys for sharing your opinion and ofcourse your pictures too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:13 pm 
Stephensong wrote:
This is one of the first photos taken with my new 50mm F2.0. The image is flawed; however, it is a part of the learning curve.

Next time you have a situation where your subject's face has shadow on it, change your metering to spot metering so that the camera will determine the amount of light necessary to give you good exposure on the spot (which is the subject itself), as opposed to the entire sensor. This may lead to the background getting quite bright though. You can probably then underexpose the photo a little bit. Another way of showing more of her face is to use "fill in" flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 pm 
nhorz25 wrote:
yeah i cropped it so i took another pictures today and didnt change or crop it..

thanks for the comments..it matters to me..so that i will learn how to use my cam..

I take it that you reduced the size of the photos, right? Or is your camera set on "small" photos? If you want to shoot in JPG, I'd recommend always using Large and Super Fine. More data is better than not enough data.

The photos still look soft to me. But that's probably b/c I'm used to the supersharpness of the E410/510. How close were you to the Coke can when you took the photo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 pm 
Word of advice, forget the camera has an "Auto" function.

"A" mode is Aperture priority mode, you set the aperture, the camera determines shutter speed depending on the metering mode you selected

"S" mode is the opposite, it is shutter priority, you set the shutter, the camera determines the aperture.

"P" mode is a more advanced form of auto, camera selects both shutter speed and aperture, but you can control fine details.

I use "A" almost exclusively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:38 am 
i used the small one..i will be changing my JPG size then i will try to study my dslr for my next picture....

no cropping :) and i will post it here directly....

thanks atomic for being such a good mentor....

im learning from you guys...

Post subject: Blurry pictures
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:01 pm 
I bought this camera too for my birthday. It's my first time shooting pictures with dslr. Can't say I'm not having any troubles with it because I do. There are so many buttons to twiddle...

I use my camera in parties but it frustrates me because I can't get shots of people without them being blurry. I can't get my pictures to look sharp and "not-blurry". I have to tell them to stay still for a moment. Can you help me with this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:31 am 
One thing I wanted to ask you guys, is there a reason why so many people use Aperture Priority over Full Manual? Id gotten into the habit of using full manual mode with all my Olys (starting with the C7070 back in 2005) because of the excellent live histogram feature, it kind of makes me feel like I have full control of the camera and I can decide exactly how the picture gets exposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:41 am 
I saw someone mention that it was possible to see how many pixels had been remapped during the life of the camera using the pixel mapping function. Can someone show me how to do this? Thanks! I dont want to remap them, I just want to know how many of them have been remapped in the life of the camera.