Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Do full frame cameras really seem like an upgrade?
I have a Full frame camera and I miss the smaller APS-C cameras 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Full Frame... MUSTTTT..., HAVEEEE NAOSSSSS!!! 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Eww... too expensive but nice to have 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Doesn't seem like an upgrade 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:23 am 

This thread is pretty interesting.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pent ... msung.html

The hint is on page 2 by Xian but I suggest you guys read all of it. FF for UNDER $2000? Sweet.

And just for fun, ima throw up a poll. IMHO, I don't see a reason to upgrade to Full frame. Burns a huge hole in my pocket, ISO performance is great but shooting low light isn't fun to me, requires physically HUGE lenses (Pentax+Olympus= super small super fun ;-D), and doesn't have the crop factor.

Example: 50-135mm f/2.8 versus Canon 70-200mm IS USM (700grams versus 1300!!!)

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:08 am 

For hobby, I think FF camera is too expensive. But it depends your income, 2000-3000 a piece might be relatively cheap compare to other hobby like collecting luxury cars or yatches.

For pro, they will be able to get return on investment and competition require them to update their gears or losing businesses. (although gears are not the only factor).

Regarding Samsung full frame camera rumor, i think it will just a rumor. Samsung, like Olympus want to penetrate consumers market (first time buying dslrs). They probably aim for $1200 or below body plus small size.

Sony is more likely to launch another FF, because they did it before, and from their lens development and road map, seems that they are pretty serious to compete with Canon and Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:28 am 

GLXLR wrote:
50-135mm f/2.8 versus Canon 70-200mm IS USM (700grams versus 1300!!!)

Maybe 60-250mm vs. Canon 70-200mm....the 50-135 cannot be compared for it's range.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:56 pm 

Razvan wrote:
GLXLR wrote:
50-135mm f/2.8 versus Canon 70-200mm IS USM (700grams versus 1300!!!)

Maybe 60-250mm vs. Canon 70-200mm....the 50-135 cannot be compared for it's range.

But the 60-250mm is a FF lens.
I am simply comparing weight wise.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 am 

Enche Zein wrote:
For hobby, I think FF camera is too expensive. But it depends your income, 2000-3000 a piece might be relatively cheap compare to other hobby like collecting luxury cars or yatches.

For pro, they will be able to get return on investment and competition require them to update their gears or losing businesses. (although gears are not the only factor).

Regarding Samsung full frame camera rumor, i think it will just a rumor. Samsung, like Olympus want to penetrate consumers market (first time buying dslrs). They probably aim for $1200 or below body plus small size.

Sony is more likely to launch another FF, because they did it before, and from their lens development and road map, seems that they are pretty serious to compete with Canon and Nikon.

I hope Sony DOES bring something up, since the release of the A230-A380 have only targeted complete noobies (with the exception of a few ;D) and haven't shown ANY upgrade over the A200-A350.

I also just realized I haven't had an option for "I already have FF and I am loving it". Could a Mod change the poll to have this option? Thanks!

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:52 pm 

It doesn't make sense for Pentax to release a full frame camera. What's the point of releasing a camera that has no lenses for it? The majority of Pentax's lenses are APS-C, and it would be too big of an investment to reintroduce a whole line of FF lenses for no particular gain.

What benefits would FF bring to Pentax? The only thing that I can think of that people on forums are interested in is better high ISO performance. Going down the FF route isn't a guarantee that ISO performance is going to be stellar. For instance, the APS-C Nikon D300/D90/D5000 provides better high ISO performance than the Sony A900.

I just don't see Pentax going FF, especially after they've invested so heavily into APS-C lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:39 pm 

I think Pentax FF will appeal to Pentax film camera users because they have full frame lenses. Also third party like Sigma has plenty of FF lens.

But the problem is there are not many. The overall market share Pentax have is only around 3%. So designing/producing FF won't be profitable business for Pentax.

about clean ISO in FF, i think it is because of the megapixel. Sony A900 has class leading 24mp while Nikon D700 and D3 has only half of it (12mp).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:23 pm 

pgtips wrote:
It doesn't make sense for Pentax to release a full frame camera. What's the point of releasing a camera that has no lenses for it? The majority of Pentax's lenses are APS-C, and it would be too big of an investment to reintroduce a whole line of FF lenses for no particular gain.

What benefits would FF bring to Pentax? The only thing that I can think of that people on forums are interested in is better high ISO performance. Going down the FF route isn't a guarantee that ISO performance is going to be stellar. For instance, the APS-C Nikon D300/D90/D5000 provides better high ISO performance than the Sony A900.

I just don't see Pentax going FF, especially after they've invested so heavily into APS-C lenses.

The other rumor (I forgot to mention) is that Samsung is putting back into production some of the old FA lenses (which SO MANY Pentaxians have been begging Pentax to do)

www.flickr.com/glxlr