Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:42 pm 
Greetings. Before asking what might be an all-too-common question, I would just like to say how refreshing it is to see a top quality, user-friendly website. I have been perusing for the past couple of weeks, and this one blows the others away.

Down to business..

I am hoping to enter the DSLR market in the next couple of days (actually entered it yesterday with an ebay purchase from a place in NYC, but am planning on either canceling, if possible, or returning due to faulty warranty and battery information given over the phone). I pulled the trigger on a Rebel XTi kit at a good deal, but then got screwed around by the salesman regarding the aforementioned items.

I am considering the XT, XTi, D40 and D40X
As I see it, here are the main pros for each option...please correct me as you see fit.

Pros for XT:
-cost (749$Cdn) with stock lens
-my father has 2 compatible lenses (up to 200mm)

Pros for XTi (1099$Cdn with stock lens)
-auto cleaner
-bigger LCD

Pros for Nikon, generally (D40X with lens for 999$Cdn & D40 with lens for 799$Cdn) :
-feel, ergonomics (really could notice the difference here)
-more on screen options, including cropping and help info (for D40X only, i think)
-slightly better stock lens

I have come to the conclusion that the feel of the Nikon is far superior than the Canon (personally speaking, of course). However, the fact that my dad has 2 additional Canon lenses really makes me hesitate.

Any advice for a confused beginner? Once a decision is made in the Canon v Nikon match-up, are the respective upgrades (XTi & D40X) worth the additional money? Unfortunately, budget does weigh heavily on my mind (especially considering that I will likely have to pay shipping on the aforementioned debacle). But, if the difference is considerable, I do not mind paying for quality and long-term benefit.

Thank you kindly!

Geoffrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi Geoffrey, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I personally believe the look and feel of a camera is absolutely crucial.

So if the quality and features of two models are roughly the same (or good enough for your requirements), then absolutely go for the one which feels best to you.

The only times you'd go for the model which didn't feel as good was if it had a crucial feature which the other was missing, or a lower price. I've missed out image quality there because there'll always be a camera which offers better quality, but the question is whether YOU personally need it.

A first-time DSLR buyer is also buying into a complete system, so take a look at the lens options in addition to the camera body itself. You may find that, say, Canon offers the ideal lenses for you, in which case a Canon body would be the best bet even if you initially preferred the look and feel of a Nikon body. So try and think about how you'd like to use the camera in the future, and what your second and third lenses would be. Are they available?

As for 6 or 8 Mpixels versus 10 Mpixels, it all depends on how big you want to make your prints, or how much latitude you want for cropping later. A 6 Mpixel model can make photographic quality (300dpi) prints up to 10x7in, while a 10 Mpixel model can stretch to 13x8.5in.

10 Mpixel images have around 900 more pixels horizontally and 600 more vertically than a 6 Mpixel image, giving you more chance to crop-in and still maintain good quality.

So you'll have to weigh these benefits up for yourself. 10 Mpixel images clearly have more detail, but do you need it?

Also check out the results pages of our D40 review to see how a 6 Mpixel model directly compares against a 10 Mpixel model - it may not be as significant a difference as you think...

I hope that's given you some things to think about!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:56 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Geoffrey, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I personally believe the look and feel of a camera is absolutely crucial.

Thats exactly what I did Gordon, had a play with and hold of both the Canon 400D and a Nikon D80 and prefered the Canon.