Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:06 am 
Hmmm... i see what you mean by the lack of atmosphere... maybe a simple white look isn't really for BBQ. what would you suggest to make it really look smokin' hot? maybe some steam? ...na steam isn't manly enough. would you think some flames would do justice? any ideas? please I'm open to anything.

here is the original:

Here is a quick fix... Do you think i'm heading in the right direction? i think this has more of th e bbq feel to it but does it still need more atmosphere?

Maybe that wasn't my best example either.... what do you think of this one?

Last edited by Tomis on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:24 am 
Smokin' hot, for example, perhaps have a defocused grill flaming in the background and reddish wood tables. Color harmony is extremely important in the food industry. For instance, with fried and grilled items, the complementary colors are a palette of reds, maroons, browns, and blacks.
Go to your local supermarket and look at food packaging and the images. You'd get a sense of the theory going on and what palette compliments what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:31 am 
Here is a quick fix... Luckily last time i went camping i took some pictures of the fire. (i knew those 'd come in handy) Do you think i'm heading in the right direction? i think this has more of the bbq feel to it but does it still need more atmosphere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:39 am 
Much better. You got the concept down.
The Brisket Sandwich text needs more contrast, to which I suggest you try an orange/red palette that stands out from the background flames. The food may also benefit with some more red tones added to it for better blending with the background, also giving a sense of dimension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:14 am 
How's that? is that the right plate color?

Thanks for all your help... your probably sick of me :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:47 am 
that orange hurts my eyes, maybe a little more subtle.

steam perhaps, microwave some wet paper towels in a bowl. 4 steam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:49 am 
Tomis wrote:
How's that? is that the right plate color?

Thanks for all your help... your probably sick of me :lol:

the fire implies the wrong idea.makes it seem like the sandwich is spicy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:02 am 

Someone said something about a defocused grill in the background.

Thats just stupid and distracting.

I think the shots you've done work pretty damn well. I agree about the fire suggesting the spicey side, but I'm not sure of another way to do it.

Maybe some steam would have been nice, there are ways to do it so you get it right in camera, or you could do it in PP. That would give it the idea of hot, and that sweet BBQ aroma 8)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:20 pm 
I don't recall BBQ producing steam.

Like Adon said, the red tones should be more subtle. If you can, mask the plate independently from the food so you can give them different values for more realism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:54 pm 
this photo is going to be used for advertising in his restaurant. I already made a few for his desserts and he said he noticed an immediate increase (more that triple) of dessert sales. the images i make are displayed on a 10" digital photo frame which is displayed on the counter where you place your order.

but i just need to work out a few kinks with my work flow, and figure out everything i need to start my own company including a name (anyone have any suggestions?

. i think this is a great opportunity for photographers like us who are good with a camera/computer. it may not pay a whole lot (37 USD an hour... sounds good but its hard to get very many hours) i get to set my own schedule and i don't have anyone bossing me around like i do at my full time job which i plan to quit when i start my fall semester of college. and its rather expensive to get started in...

Camera + lens and other camera related gear = 2000 usd
2 mono lights + soft box/umbrella and etc. = 900 usd
macbook pro + adobe CS4 Master collection = 4000 usd

TOTAL: 6900 USD!

plus countless hours of reading up on photography, browsing on the forum, and practice practice practice! (i only pay student price on cs4 master collection though.... some 500 USD)

I've been also trying adobe after effects out for a while and i made my first movie... here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndU_yWL2cLY