Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:36 pm 
Not to long ago i bought a Canon iP4600, printer and have trying to get the colours correct roughly on prints in comparison to my screen. Secondly i should say that my monitor is NOT calibrated, and don't have the money to calibrate it at the moment. I don't think it's to badly off, but i would appreaciate anyone to have a look at my flickr, and see if my pictures are roughly correct.
So, onto the main subject of the post, all of my colours are pretty much correct, but i just can't get green's 'Green', they just look very unsaturated and nothing like the vividness of real life. How do i fix this????

In terms of colour management, i am using Adobe 1998, and 'Canon IJ Printer Profile 2005' under lightroom.

Any help would be very much appreaciated!
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 pm 
Give us an example shot of what you're trying to print. Have you tried get a few of the images printed at a Boots photographic or something? If you do that, you can at least see if it's your printer that's at fault. If the colour are not popping like you'd expect then you know it's the printer. If the colours are like what you are printing, then it's the monitor that's making things out to be something they are not.

Glossy monitors are known to make colours pop more, and have more contrast (the kind of monitor I've got), and I had some shots printed using snapfish.com and they turned out fine. Not sure why you'd want to bother trying to print your photos at home. I've got an Epson R340 (bought it to print onto dvd's). Takes 6 ink cartridges, which cost like £50 for a pack. Not exactly worth it printing your own images.

How about taking a shot of the image you've printed as well, and sharing it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:04 pm 
Right, first off thanks alot for the reply greg! Secondly, no i don't have a glossy type screen, it has a matte finish.

Below are the same images for comparison, you can see the photo which i took a photo of, judge for yourself. Also please bear in mind, when i did that particular print, i set the green Saturation level channel in LR to max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:21 pm 
looks like your printer is just printing 'brighter' and with less contrast. It might just be a case of your printer not being able to produce an image that is as saturated as what you're seeing on your screen. Your on screen image looks fine, so I'm guessing the printer just can't handle it. What paper are you printing on? Photo paper (glossy or matt)? Plain A4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:26 pm 
I am printing on fairly good quality, Semi-Gloss, 6x4 Paper. I think it's definately something to do with colour management, or the printer just has a very bad case of 'Green Ink Disease' :lol: :lol:
Any more thoughts Greg?
Thanks again mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:53 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
I am printing on fairly good quality, Semi-Gloss, 6x4 Paper. I think it's definately something to do with colour management, or the printer just has a very bad case of 'Green Ink Disease' :lol: :lol:
Any more thoughts Greg?
Thanks again mate!

Are all your ink cartridges full? I had my cheapo canon printer start printing b/w images with a weird green tinge whenever it was running low on black ink?

Go get the shot printed by someone else. It's NOT your display at fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:23 pm 
The cartridges are all full. I shall try and find another printer to print this shot on, meanwhile i will have a fiddle around with the printer profiles, as they changed the colours quite alot, when i changed them last! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 am 

You could try a high street shop like Jessops. They have little machines where you can plug in your memory card and get a cheap print within an hour or less if they aren't busy... last time I was there the print popped out by the time I'd finished looking round the shop ;-)

The 10x8 B/W was pretty good too.

just a thought

mirageII

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 am 

i had a problem like this, i print using adobe lightroom.

i had to turn off the printer colour management so that adobe lightroom had all the controll of the printing so the colours come out right. in my printing preffences it even had an adobe colour management option.

check your settings because your standard printer colour management might be trying to compensate what your computer is trying to print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 pm 
-Neil- wrote:
i had a problem like this, i print using adobe lightroom.

i had to turn off the printer colour management so that adobe lightroom had all the controll of the printing so the colours come out right. in my printing preffences it even had an adobe colour management option.

check your settings because your standard printer colour management might be trying to compensate what your computer is trying to print.

I'll try that. Can i ask you what printer profile in LR you are using and what printer you've got?
Cheers guys