Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:48 pm 
I agree about clean 8 x 10 iso 1600 shots with the e520, I think most people who are concerned with noise want to print large enlargements... I dont print anything over 7.5 x 10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:24 pm 
A-L-E-X wrote:
Do you find the Imager AF a bit faster on the e-30 also? I imagine the biggest difference is the dynamic range increase. How much beyond the e-520 is it in that area? Im also trying to figure out if it would be good for IR photography, but it seems like each generation of camera (not just Oly) strengthens the blocking filter.

I didn't use Imager AF on my E520, but with the rotating LCD, I recently used it on the E30 at a public event to get shots with the camera over my head from behind the crowd and it was certainly fast enough to get the job done...no complaints here.

The dynamic range is definitley better at 200 & 400, but despite official measurements, not as much of a leap forward as I expected.

It is definitely sharper than the E520 at default 0, but to be quite honest if you turned NF to low, put sharpness to +2 and turned the contrast down 1 or 2....I never found the E520 "soft", as claimed.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:50 pm 

Well I have decided to wait buying a new camera. I am not planning any big holiday, like last year, so it can wait a little more.

I decided this after seeing the results form the GH1 and the E-P1. The pictures of those 2 camera's are significantly better then those from the E30 or the E620. That does not mean that the E30 is bad. I think it's OK, even at iso 1600. I just want my next camera to last longer then my E500 did so far. This means that even though there will always be better camera's, I will not be tempted to buy a new one soon.

So what should this new camera (E40?) be?
Like the E30,but with:
- the sensor of the E-P1
- movie mode
- some weather sealing
- hdmi connection
- faster contrast based AF
- AF focus assist light (i doubt they will do that)

So let's wait and see.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:01 am 
Hans:

This is something you should consider.....IMHO, the E500 was the appex in terms of color/tonality & noise up to ISO 400...of all the smaller E series bodies to date.

In another way, the E510 is also a camera IMHO.... that is in a league of its own..... with image stabilization, quite decent up to ISO 1600 even with some banding for handheld shots.

At this point, E510 is discontinued and prices are rock bottom.....I would highly recommend picking one up while you wait for your "perfect" camera.

Can't go wrong.

Cheers;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 am 
I agree about buying an E-510, if you can find anywhere thats selling them new, the prices are SOO low right now [sad for me, im going to be selling mine]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 am 
Hey Atomic....don't do it !

When I first got the E30 I was so "smitten" I ebayed my E510.....(I kept my E520 only because its easier for my wife or son to use)....after a couple of week I regretted it as there are some situations....like early morning landscapes or inside portraits where the E510 absolutely shines....

Had ebayed my E510, 5000 shutter count & after fees cleared
$292 CAN.....bought a brand new one with 3 year warranty for $395 CAN, but its still not the same as your original.....put it on a self and show your grandchildren someday.

Cheers; :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:19 am 
I do like how small and light it is... Though if I'm going that route, I'd need a small and light lens for it. I have TWO 12-60mm lenses right now! I definitely need to sell one, maybe get a 14-42 [again] for the E-510 or maybe the 25mm...

I GUESS it can come in handy if I go to an event with a friend and don't want to exclude them.

So heres the breakdown:
If I keep the E-510, it would probably be as a toss around compact, which I cant do with the 12-60mm lens so I'd need to spend money on another lens. So I'm at least 90 dollars out of pocket [used 14-42]

OR

I sell the E-510 because I dont REALLY need it, and get like $250 in my pocket which will go towards a Sigma 70-200 2.8

I also have a 70-300mm that I dont really need too much which can be sold [I was planning on selling both the body and this lens actually] but it honestly may have more use to me than the E-510

I really am hesitant to sell the E-510, especially knowing how little I'm likely to get for it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:24 am 
For those of you who get banding with your e-410/420/510/520 at higher iso, try low key + 0.7ev, Ive found it significantly reduces the amount of noise and banding in my images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:35 pm 

LJohnK wrote:
Hans:

This is something you should consider.....IMHO, the E500 was the appex in terms of color/tonality & noise up to ISO 400...of all the smaller E series bodies to date.

In another way, the E510 is also a camera IMHO.... that is in a league of its own..... with image stabilization, quite decent up to ISO 1600 even with some banding for handheld shots.

At this point, E510 is discontinued and prices are rock bottom.....I would highly recommend picking one up while you wait for your "perfect" camera.

Can't go wrong.
Cheers;

I have thought about that, but instead of the E510 the E520. It's only 339 euro. The E510 is still available in some shops, but more expensive.

Last year when I visited some wild parks in South Africa I really missed stabilization when I was using the 70-300. This year I will go to Switzerland where I expect to use my 12-60 most of the time, so my E500 will be fine.

But 339 euro is a tempting offer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:50 pm 
And anyway, the E-510 hasn't got wireless flash control.

And that, is quite frankly, a touch of genious.