Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, for copyright reasons, it's best not to quote such large sections of someone else's review. Plus that and dpreviews friendly, welcoming attitude to cameralabs in their forums!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:34 am 
Sorry about that Gordon-- and Im well aware of Dpreview's fascist attitude... they wont even let me post links to this review on their site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:05 pm 
ljmac wrote:
Regarding how to "fix" the E-620 (and E-30) tone curve shift, try this:

1) Shoot with low key gradation. This deepens the shadows, so it sort of does the opposite to auto gradation, making them appear less noisy.

2) Boost the exposure by 2/3 or (probably even better) 1 EV. The wonderful new feature on the E-620 (and E-30) that allows you to set a permanent exposure shift across all shooting modes is very helpful for this.

The exposure boost is needed to compensate for the fact that low key underexposes a little and has darker midtones as well. You should end up with similar shadow noise levels to the previous generation Oly DSLRs, while still retaining some of the extended highlight range of the new ones. Try it!

Oh yes - if you shoot with this method, you shouldn't have to do any compensation in RAW processing, and it will work with JPEGs straight out of the camera.

(Note that I don't have an E-620 myself to try this, but I suggested this in the DPR forum and a few people responded that it works very well).

Would this "fix" be also used for ISO100? Or only for ISO200 and above?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:50 am 
I think its only for iso 200 and above, as your effectively reducing your camera to an iso100-1600 cam... which, according to dxomark, is its "true" sensitivity.

BTW Gordon, and others, I wanted to ask you to look at the gallery image of the church in your e-620 and e-520 reviews. Notice how the windows are blown out in the e-520 image, but not in the e-620 image. However, the e-520 image is about 1.3 stops slower, so Im wondering if the two cameras were exposed the same way, would they produce the same kind of image? Also, does each camera meter this way automatically? Also, if you look at the close up at the bottom, it looks like the e-620 likes to underexpose (its images are darker-- and noisier)? Here are the links:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... ages.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... ages.shtml

e520 exposure...

1/15, f8, ISO 1600, 14-42mm at 14mm (equivalent to 28mm)

e620 exposure...

1/125, f4.5, ISO 1600, 14-42mm at 14mm (equivalent to 28mm)

The funny thing is the e520 blows out the stained glass windows, but the e620 blows out the wooden benches! Why do the cameras meter this scene so differently, and which output do you guys prefer? Were these two shots taken at different times of the day-- perhaps thats why they look different? Also, according to dxomark, iso1600 on the e520 is really iso1700, while iso1600 on the e620 is really iso1000... maybe that is another reason for the difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Hi ALEX, I always try and take my gallery shots under the same conditions, but bear in mind, the lighting changes throughout the day and also during the year. Sometimes it's brighter outside the Church than at other times, so for those gallery shots, you have to judge them as individual images. Obviously there's some similarities for comparison, but it's not a technical head to head.

The only ones you can technically compare are in the results pages, as they're all taken moments apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:41 pm 

A-L-E-X wrote:
Sorry about that Gordon-- and Im well aware of Dpreview's fascist attitude... they wont even let me post links to this review on their site!

Use the IP address, then it will work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:48 pm 

I just saw the GH1 samples and they seem better concerning noise then the E620. I suppose the GH1 has a newer sensor. At least it is different, because it can record movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:24 pm 
Perhaps this is the sensor being used in the new Oly micro 4/3 cam!

Post subject: No Video Tour?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:32 pm 
How come we don't have a video tour of the E-620 yet? :( I was really looking forward to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:04 pm 
If the samples are JPEG, it might very well be just processing, which doesn't tell us that much. I remember being baffles by the JPEGs of the 50D when I tried it, but opening the RAW files, it wasn't all that impressive anymore.

As for the video review of the E-620, I suppose it's busy times for all reviewers these days, lots of cameras being launched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:48 am 
Site Admin

Yep, there will be a video review, but I have several other articles I need to finish first...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:28 am 
Site Admin

I'm pleased to inform you the video review is now ready!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... view.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:48 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:

Finally! Thanks!

But I have two questions:

1. The review keeps mentionning 'we' for Camera Labs, but all we know is you, Gordon. Who is the rest of the staff?

2. And are you a nail-biter? Your fingers were pretty roughed-up. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:48 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:

Thanks Gordon. Once again -- Cameralabs.com beats another-to-remain-nameless site who still haven't gotten their e-620 review up yet. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Er, it's the royal 'we'!

Yep, it's just me for now, but saying 'we' is a force of habit from working on magazines.

PS - my fingers were just dry and a bit roughed-up from some woodworking I'd been doing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next