Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: tripod for SX10 IS
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:56 pm 
I was unsure whether to start a new thread for this, but as reading the older threads have not really brought me closer to a decision, I decided to do so anyway. My birthday is coming up and think I would like to get a tripod.

I own a SX10 IS, and though not exactly light, it is not a DSLR in weight due to the lack of extra weight produced by the changeable lenses. Because of this, I feel it would be a bit ridiculous to invest to much money in a tripod. I am still rather new in photography and unsure about the amount of times that I will be using the tripod.

I would like to be able to shoot better photos in low-light situations without resolving to higher ISO levels, which are not really an option with this camera. I will be using the tripod mainly for landscape shots when time is not really an issue. I am not a car-owner so I should be able to carry the tripod. This does not necessarily mean that the tripod has to be ultra-light or small, I guess the bag of the tripod also makes a lot of difference. Perhaps size matters more than weight in my case.

I have been to a couple of stores and have read a number of thread on this forum and others, but I am not sure which kind of tripod to buy. To be honest I am not even that sure whether I should buy one at all, as I am not a DSLR-user.

Please help me make up my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:05 am 
Hello Soliwo,

I definitely wouldn't say I'm an expert on tripods, but from the few i've tried, the Slik Sprint Pro (3-Way or Ballhead, up to you) series seems quite adequate for superzooms. It would be overkill for compacts and not quite sturdy enough for DSLRs.

If you could go to a store and try it or some similar products (such as lower-end Manfrotto tripods), it would be good.

The inexpensive head should be sufficient for long-exposures (still subjects).

SnS 8)