Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:33 am 
Do you get any problems in quality though using a film lens on a digital SLR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:53 pm 
ryan_b wrote:
Do you get any problems in quality though using a film lens on a digital SLR?

No problems at all. Even the Power Zoom lenses work with auto focus and superb image quality. Some Pentax DSLRs will even operate the power zoom feature. There is some cropping due to the smaller sensor.

I have a collection of lenses for my K100D & K200D that include old manual focus K mount Vivitars, M42 screw mount Takumars, as well as auto focus Pentax FA and DA lenses. All work as they did on the original camera they were designed for. The color depth and image quality are particularly nice using the 40 year old Takumars. They're compact but built like tanks. 8)

Last edited by TourDeForce on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:30 pm 
Thank you! It's good to know that I will have some extra lenses right from the start. This has definitely made up my mind about the K-7, it's the one I will buy as soon as I can. Now we just have to wait and see what kit forms they come in (not a lot of info available for this).[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:15 pm 
ryan_b wrote:
Thank you! It's good to know that I will have some extra lenses right from the start. This has definitely made up my mind about the K-7, it's the one I will buy as soon as I can. Now we just have to wait and see what kit forms they come in (not a lot of info available for this).

They're supposed to ship with a Weather Resistant (WR) version of the DA 18-55mm AL II kit lens. There will also be another WR lens in a 50-200mm focal range from what I've read. I don't expect them to be as rugged or optically refined as the DA* lenses, but the price tags will be a joy to behold for weather resistant gear.

The DA 18-55mm AL II kit lens is one of the better kit lenses available, so it's a good bet the new WR version will be optically similar, or perhaps improved - certainly well worth the asking price. FYI, the kit typically has a sweet spot right around 35mm at F8 or so. Knowing the strengths of your gear helps you maximize the output quality. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:27 pm 
Razvan wrote:
And the K7 can remove the CA with in-camera editing,so amazing news,because Pentax lenses always had CA weakness.
They already have some amazing lenses like the 17-70mm F4,50-135mm F/2.8,200mm F/2.8. Now they released weather sealed kit lenses 18-55 & 50-200,so this is another great step for Pentax.

I know I'm late to the party, but I just can't let this go...

CA problems? Interesting since I know more than one Canon 5D user that has converted their camera to accept Pentax M42 glass. Those old Pentax Takumar leses are incredible.

Also, the 'amazing' lenses you list from Pentax are not some of their better glass except for the low light capability, and the 17-70, though a solid performer, is not particularly good with low light & image quality is kinda average from what I've seen. The colors are splendid though....

I'd put up the Power Zoom FA 28-105mm against any of them - for under $200. The FA 24-90 is a fantastic bit of kit for a bargain price as well.

The biggest deal about Pentax lenses is the primes - and lots of them! The K-7 can play, with SR on ALL Pentax glass, going back to the M42 screw mounts. I've been using Pentax since the 1970's and still use some of my old lenses I bought for my days as a newspaper photographer. f1:1.2 50mm anybody? (yes, a 1.2!) NONE of the other manufacturers can claim that kind of dedication to their customers & their legacy. This is the only reason I can think of that Penatx would go with in body SR instead of lens based SR.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:06 pm 
I currently have a Nikon D40, and do the majority of my shooting with the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens; I'm fairly satisfied with this setup, except for indoor/lowlight shooting ... the lens is far too slow for this.

I'd been considering investing in a 50mm/1.8 and/or moderate telephoto f2.8 lens ... but the lack of an autofocus mechanism on the D40 body, which limits one to AF-S lenses only, has me resigned to changing bodies. Too, it'd be very nice to have video ability from time to time, as well as a camera that performs better at high ISOs (the d40 can be questionable above 1000, imho).

I was pretty close to purchasing the D90, although it seems to have quite a larger body than the d40 (I love the compactness of the latter, am loathe to give that up!). But it's movie mode, Active D-Lighting and low-light performance had me sold ... until I read about the upcoming, compact K7!

I'm hoping to see both in a local store, to compare the K7 and D90 ... but unless something really unexpected happens, I believe I'm sold on the K7. Luckily I've only invested in one Nikon lens, so changing over to Pentax shouldn't be a huge hit. But, I'm afraid I don't know much about Pentax lenses.

Ideally, I'm guessing I'd start with three lenses ... an all around wide/telephoto/macro lens (e.g., was thinking either the Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm) for the majority of my shooting; a fast (f/1.4 or 1.8) 35 or 50mm prime for lowlight/portraits; and later likely a constant f/2.8 telephoto, say 50-150mm or such. Any suggestions on what Pentax (or Tamron/Sigma/other?) lenses I should short-list would be much appreciated!

Finally, anyone know whether the K7 has a feature analogous to Nikon's Active D-Lighting? Too, any thoughts on the K7's low-light performance would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 pm 

netarc wrote:
I currently have a Nikon D40, and do the majority of my shooting with the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens; I'm fairly satisfied with this setup, except for indoor/lowlight shooting ... the lens is far too slow for this.

I'd been considering investing in a 50mm/1.8 and/or moderate telephoto f2.8 lens ... but the lack of an autofocus mechanism on the D40 body, which limits one to AF-S lenses only, has me resigned to changing bodies. Too, it'd be very nice to have video ability from time to time, as well as a camera that performs better at high ISOs (the d40 can be questionable above 1000, imho).

I was pretty close to purchasing the D90, although it seems to have quite a larger body than the d40 (I love the compactness of the latter, am loathe to give that up!). But it's movie mode, Active D-Lighting and low-light performance had me sold ... until I read about the upcoming, compact K7!

I'm hoping to see both in a local store, to compare the K7 and D90 ... but unless something really unexpected happens, I believe I'm sold on the K7. Luckily I've only invested in one Nikon lens, so changing over to Pentax shouldn't be a huge hit. But, I'm afraid I don't know much about Pentax lenses.

Ideally, I'm guessing I'd start with three lenses ... an all around wide/telephoto/macro lens (e.g., was thinking either the Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm) for the majority of my shooting; a fast (f/1.4 or 1.8) 35 or 50mm prime for lowlight/portraits; and later likely a constant f/2.8 telephoto, say 50-150mm or such. Any suggestions on what Pentax (or Tamron/Sigma/other?) lenses I should short-list would be much appreciated!

Finally, anyone know whether the K7 has a feature analogous to Nikon's Active D-Lighting? Too, any thoughts on the K7's low-light performance would be appreciated!

I'm sure you won't be displeased, but although the K-7 is just a little bigger than the D40, it is quite a bit heavier (300+ grams).

As for the ISO performance, we have to wait for the final firmware+ tests, although they haven't looked bad at all. I don't think there is something like D-lighting on the K-7, but I know you can adjust brightness,color, contrast, and hue after you have taken the photo.There is also a range of art filters and CA/ lens distortion correction features.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:44 am 
I just post the comparison between the two cameras, K7 and D90 in my blog
here
it sparks some controversy there, especially from Pentax fans hehe

K7 is better in many aspects, the size and weight is similar to D90, but K7 is a weather/waterproof camera made with better material.

The only difference is in the price tag. K7 is US$350 more expensive, and you need to get new lenses as well.

Recommended for Pentax:
I recommend Pentax DA* lens, they are high-grade lens with weatherproof.
Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8
Pentax 55mm f/1.4
Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 hsm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:57 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
here
it sparks some controversy there, especially from Pentax fans hehe

Recommended for Pentax:
I recommend Pentax DA* lens, they are high-grade lens with weatherproof.
Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8
Pentax 55mm f/1.4
Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 hsm

netarc, these are actually some good lens suggestions from Enche Zein. To complete your research, I suggest you visit pentaxforums.com and dig around in the lens review sections. Tremendous resource for all manner of Pentax and 3rd party lenses.

I might suggest you go with one general purpose weather proof like the DA* 16-50mm or the pair of new Weather Resistant lenses (less $), and the rest of your gear can be the F, FA, or DA series autofocus.

The suggestions above are a bit on the pricey side for me because Pentax has 40+ years worth of lenses you can use with their DSLRs. Many of them are manual focus and many will be useable in manual mode only, but if you're not shooting action scenes... You can find top quality lenses for Pentax at a fraction of the price of D90 compatible glass.

Example: A Takumar 105mm f2.8 portrait lens can be had in excellent condition for $150 on eBay. Full manual only, but what a lens!

Want manual focus with all your auto exposure setting available. Some of the A series glass from Pentax is fabulous! My favorite is the Pentax A 50mm f1.7. It can be had for under $100 almost any day and works fantastic as a portrait lens as well with a very controllable DOF.

The list goes on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:24 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
here

Fantastic, reading that now, thank you!

And thanks for the feedback re: lenses ... you know, I forgot one pretty important question re: Pentax lenses! With the Nikkor 18-250 VR, it has the great feature of full-time manual focus (in autofocus mode, one can override the focus manually using the focus ring).

Is this feature available on many/most Pentax lenses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:00 pm 

Bonsoir netarc,

About Pentax DA* lenses, feel free to read my User Reviews :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:39 pm 
netarc wrote:
Enche Zein wrote:
here

Fantastic, reading that now, thank you!

And thanks for the feedback re: lenses ... you know, I forgot one pretty important question re: Pentax lenses! With the Nikkor 18-250 VR, it has the great feature of full-time manual focus (in autofocus mode, one can override the focus manually using the focus ring).

Is this feature available on many/most Pentax lenses?

Pentax calls it 'Quick Shift', and it allows override of the AF or fine tune of the AF manually. Pretty slick. Pentax has had the 'Quick Shift' system for some years now on many of the newer lenses. Here's a blog describing some tips for manual focus override on a K100D:

http://www.ok1000pentax.com/2006/06/pentax-dslr-auto-focus-tips.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:48 am 
I don't think the Pentax 18-250 has quickshift, which is a shame unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 pm 

Bonjour,

The battery grip is usually recommended for portait shooting and for enhanced handling even in landscape mode, as well as for extended autonomy.

But one of the key feature of the Pentax K-7 is its compactness. And this comes at a price: the camera body could be too short for large or even medium-sized hands. So the battery grip is worth considering.

At first, I didn't want to spend extra money on a grip, but after playing with the K-7 for a while, it became obvious the grip was a must.

Check my :arrow: review and the :arrow: full details.

Enjoy :)