Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:59 pm 

I've been using the free bag I got with my camera. It's has a padded strap, is waterproof and can hold my camera and two lenses, however It -is- uncomfortable to carry for a long time so I've been thinking about buying a different type of bag.

My first thought was to buy a packpack like the lowpro 200, however I do see that it might be inconvientant to use (have to 'dismount' to retrieve items) and more vunerable to theft (a big problem where I live)

It also cross my mind that serious rucksacks are designed to carry all the wieght on the hip strap with the shoulder straps primarily for stabilisation.

So might a bag with a good hip strap be as comfortable to carry as a backpack, and if soo do you have one to recomend?

many thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:06 pm 

It seems odd no-one has replied to your topic before so for what it is worth I will tell you what I have. I use a Lowepro shoulder bag most of the time as I usually have decided which camera(s) and lenses I am taking out. I don't think it is necessary to use a backpack and take all your gear all of the time on every photographic shoot.
I have a Tamrac Expedition 5x backpack which I use if I am going away for a few days or on a longer holiday. This will hold most of my gear and is airline acceptable for in-cabin stowage. I do not trust the airlines not to lose luggage so all my photographic stuff should be safe in the cabin where I can keep an eye on it. I pack the shoulder bag in my suitcase and use it when out and about shooting.
The backpack is comfortable to wear but I would not use it for extended periods in a crowded place; as you say it is vulnerable to theft. It is really only used to transport most of my gear in the back of the car or by other modes of transport.

I know a little about a lot, a lot about little and everything about nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:40 am 

how about think tank speed demon

reviewed by ken rockwell here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:18 pm 

A great lowepro bag that many of the forum members use is the flip side 200. here you can see an excellent user review by Daniel...

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12885&highlight=

I own this bag and would highly recommend it if security is of any concern to you. because of this bags design you can only open it by dismounting the backpack. check out the review link above to view pictures so you can see what i'm talking about. i recently traveled to Manhattan and while on the crowed subway i felt fine with my camera on my back knowing nobody could steal anything while it was on my back.

hope this helps