Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: what lenses to use?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:53 am 

hello guys,

I just won a canon 400d in a raffle and practically a newbie. I have read a lot of infos bout dslr and photography and been wanting to buy one. Lucky me i won one.:) I have some questions to you guys on what lens to use since i like landscape,macro and portrait/lowlight shots. Can you advise me some lens that would fit my interests?Is there a lens that would cater all kinds of shots that i want?if not, what lens for each shots that you would recommend?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi Donpakundo, welcome to the Cameralabs forums - and congratulations on winning a Canon 400D!

I'm presuming you won a 400D kit which came with the 18-55mm lens.

This is a great lens to get you started, and if you are a newbie, I'd say stick with it until you find it limiting in some respect - that will then help you decide what your next lens should be. For example...

1: If you find it doesn't go wide enough, buy a wider angle lens, like the Canon 10-22mm.

2: If you find it doesn't zoom-in / magnify enough, then get a telephoto zoom, like a Canon 70-300mm.

3: If you find it doesn't focus close enough to subjects like flowers or insects, then get a macro lens like the Canon EF-S 60mm.

4: If you find the quality isn't as good as you hoped, or you just want something which perhaps zooms in a bit closer and has anti-shake features, then swap it for a Canon EF-S 17-85mm.

I'd honestly say though if you're starting out, the kit lens will be fine for the vast majority of the shots you wnat to take, be they landscapes portraits, close-ups etc. I'd always recommend using it for a while first to discover what direction your photography's going to take.

If your camera didn't come with a lens though, I'd recommend going for the Canon 17-85mm straightaway as it's a great general purpose lens and a good step up from the 18-55mm kit lens.

If you'd like to learn more about the differences between several general-purpose Canon lenses, check out our Canon 400D lens upgrade article here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:40 am 

thanks for the advise.its great

well, I kinda started with my friend's canon 30d and he let me shoot it whenever we get to travel together. His camera has a medium telephoto lens ( i forgot the specs) and a 50mm lens. i liked taking landscape and portrait/lowlight scenes. Is there any canon lens that are cheaper than those you recommended but somehow with same quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:55 am 

how about canon ef-s 17-85mm f/4-5.6 is usm vs 17-55mm f/2.8 is usm lens for a newbie like me as a replacement for the 400d kit lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Donpakundo, in reply to your first message, you get what you pay for!

If you want the cheapest general purpose Canon lens, buy the EF-S 18-55mm kit model.

In answer to your second message, yes, either of those lenses are great upgrade options for the 400D and its kit lens. The 17-55mm is pricey though and would appeal mostly to people who photograph in low light. Unless excellent low light performance is crucial to you, the 17-85mm represents better value - and has a longer range.

I've compared them both in our Canon lens group test. Read the verdict to weigh up their pros and cons.

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:15 pm 

Location: "Atlantic View" Bracknell, SE Berkshire, UK. 51° 25'10.42"N 0°45'41.15"W
You are not kidding about the price of the EF-S 17-55 IS USM in the UK it averages out at about £715-750 compared to the EF-S 17-85 IS USM around £350-400.

My Fotopic :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:13 am 

thanks for advise again.if i have a fair amount of money, i would go for the 17-55mm right now.hehehehe. but maybe ill stick first with the kit lens.:( i have to save some dough first.

anyway, i know this would be out of the topic but my friend have a question about nikon lens. he has a nikon d80 with 18-135mm lens package. and then he sees the 18-200mm lens but again, its expensive for a student like him.he told me though that he was not bothered with 18-135mm not havin the VR feature but he wanna asked if it is a great lens for the d80 body.hes the kind of person that want the best all around lens but without the money hahahaha.he also has the 50mm f/1.8 lens for portrait and lowlight scenes. he also wanna ask if it is a great lens for an amateur like him.
we were thinkin of creating a small club who loves lowlight scenes hehehe.with us two the founders here in our town.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:17 am 

well there will be three of us now with the club who loves low light scenes.hehehe.but we dont know a good club name.we were thinking of "Darkside club" but can you guys suggest one or two?i know it sounded silly but i will appreciate your opinions.thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi donpakundo, your friend (and hopefully a few others!) will be pleased to hear we're working on a Nikkor kit lens group test which includes results for the 18-135mm on a D80. Look out for it at Cameralabs very soon!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Hello again donpakundo, as promised, we've published our group test of Nikkor kit lenses, which you can find here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... roup_test/

Right, I'd better stop talking about Nikon in the Canon forum now!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 pm 

its good to know that you already have a nikon lens test in the site.Im very impressed with Nikkor 18-200mm lens.im thinkin bout switching to nikon hehehehe.it's an all around lens.its equivalent to 3 different lens.

well thank you very much

Post subject: Lenses for 400D
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:16 pm 

For low light photography, a great set of lenses are

1. Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC (comes with hood) which is equivalent to a 45mm lens on a Canon film camera

2. Canon 50mm F1.4 (equivalent to 85mm on a film camera)

3. Canon 85mm F1.8 (equivalent to 135mm on a film body)

all 3 are excellent value and very light and compact to carry as an extra lens or 2

Cheers

Bernard