Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:10 am 
My friend is planning to buy the Olympus E420 for photography class. She really wants it because it is very light, and she won't be commoner in a world of nikon and canon users. However, just when we were going around camera shops looking for the best deal, someone told us that buying Olympus is a bad idea- service takes about a year to accomplish, the quality isn't good, etc. therefore the company has very little sales and that he heard news that Olympus is about to shut down due to bankruptcy. Can someone say something about this? it took us months of research to decide which dslr is best for us so it really broke her heart when we heard this. Now she's having dilemma once again. If this turns out to be true, she'll buy a nikon d60 instead. HELP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:06 am 
for a lack of better words: whoever told you guys that negative information is talking out of their ass.

if you want to see the photo quality olympus cameras/lenses are capable of producing there are websites such as flickr, pbase, zenfolio, etc. where you can see what users have done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:09 am 

Hi hauman,

May I start by offering you a welocme to the CameraLabs forum.

I've locked your duplicate post (check the forum rules) and I've also removed the block capitals of the thread title and the bold face of your entire opening post. Both those styles are perceived as shouting and we are amongst friends here.

As for Olympus, the rumour is that they are announcing some new kit later this month.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:11 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi hauman,

I've locked your duplicate post (check the forum rules) and I've also removed the block capitals of the thread title and the bold face of your entire opening post. Both those styles are perceived as shouting and we are amongst friends here.

As for Olympus, the rumour is that they are announcing some new kit later this month.

Bob.

Hi Sir Bob,

Sorry for some violations earlier. Thank you so much for that info. I'm really desperate to help my friend. The odds are too many. haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:03 pm 
Wooah, olympus about to close? So much for something about launching micro 4/3s in a few more days :). If what that someone told you is true, you would probably have seen it while you where researching cameras, so trust what you have researched in the last few months and take the camera that you feel would suit you based on your research. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:33 pm 
It's a case of sales people trying to get you to buy a certain product - happens all too often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:04 pm 
Thats completely bogus information. Olympus is one of the leading makers of medical imaging equipment and is not going ANYWHERE.

It seems some guy was just trying to make up as much dirt as possible and attacked Olympus on all fronts. I've never heard a thing about poor Olympus quality; as far as I know, Olympus is top notch when it comes to quality. Theres never been a case of DOA cameras or lenses from Olympus anywhere that I've read of. Not to mention the awesome build quality on all their products, even the entry level stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 pm 
Heheh, let's put it this way:

Since you have done lots of resarch, what are the odds that you would miss that information if it was true and posted somewhere ?

And you probably know much more about olympus then the guy who told you that misinformation anyways. So how could it be that he knows something about subject that you know more about ?
Logically right ?

Post subject: Not True At All!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:04 pm 
Ok, consider these few things. First, google "Olympus Bankruptcy." Does anything relevant or trustworthy come up in the search results? Nope. Second, Olympus cameras get uncannily high reviews by many websites and magazines. Third, they have a large compact/superzoom market. Lastly, as mentioned before in this post, they have a vast market in things outside of consumer photography. No, I don't think Olympus is going anywhere anytime soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:58 pm 
The thing you need to remember is that making cameras for people is mostly a hobby for Olympus.

Olympus makes most of its money selling medical equipment, and they completely dominate that market.

Making cameras for us is most of all a prestige project that makes little difference for Olympus.

Olympus isn't going out of business anytime soon.

Next time you get a camera up your bottom at a hospital, you're pretty sure to get an Olympus stuck up there. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:44 am 
"Next time you get a camera up your bottom at a hospital, you're pretty sure to get an Olympus stuck up there"

thats a comforting thought. I'll be sure to mention that to my doctor. Hey!!! These guys make my Digital Camera!!!! OUCH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:11 am 
If it's an E3 with a pro-level lens, then you can be sure that the camera will still function as it's fully sealed. Just saying ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:02 am 
pgtips wrote:
If it's an E3 with a pro-level lens, then you can be sure that the camera will still function as it's fully sealed. Just saying ;)

+1

LOL!

Post subject: Troll
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:19 am 
hauman wrote:
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi hauman,

Bob.

Hi Sir Bob,

Sorry for some violations earlier. Thank you so much for that info. I'm really desperate to help my friend. The odds are too many. haha.

Why are people responding to this? If the original off the wall post wasn't transparent enough, the sarcastic tone of Hauman's ("Human"?) response to "Sir Bob" and his "haha" closing cinch the deal.

Rather sad his "Olympus going Bankrupt" headline (likely his goal all along) is allowed to continue on this Forum.

Silence the trolls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:29 am 

Yes, I agree. The thread had run its course until it was refreshed by a rather unnecessary comment. I'll lock it and if anyone disagrees with my decision then feel free to PM me explaining why.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]