Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Poolside Portrait
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:47 pm 

Poolside Portraits:

50mm F2.5 1/2000

40-150mm F5.3 1/180

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 am 
On the first picture, the focus is not correct. Everything looks a bit unsharp. Maybe you focused on her chin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:37 pm 

I do not remember were the focus was. How do you determine where the focus point is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 pm 

Please see if the focus is okay in this photo. I do not know if I'm doing this right, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:22 pm 
Stephensong wrote:
I do not remember were the focus was. How do you determine where the focus point is?

Are you taking pictures with the viewfinder? When looking through the viewfinder, there are three squares. The one that the focus locks on to will blink red.

You can also set the focus points from "Auto" to any of the three points. I generally set it to center focus only.

When focus locks on after half pressing the shutter, [unless you are in continuous auto focus mode] the camera will lock in on that focus distance. If you half click the shutter on something, and then take a picture of something thats a different distance away, then your focus will be off.

So for instance if you half clicked the shutter when pointing the camera at the background, and the moved the camera onto a subject closer to you WITHOUT removing your finger from the half click position, then when you take the photo the focus will be for something far away instead of close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 pm 

Okay, sometimes the red dot appears sometimes it does not. I set it to center but then may have moved the point to another spot, i.e., focus on tip of nose half click; move to sunglass frame and then release shutter.

This will cause the focus to be out of wack, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:21 am 
Stephensong wrote:
Okay, sometimes the red dot appears sometimes it does not. I set it to center but then may have moved the point to another spot, i.e., focus on tip of nose half click; move to sunglass frame and then release shutter.

This will cause the focus to be out of wack, right?

Its not instantaneous, it will search for focus sometimes.

Well if theyre the same distance from the lens then no the focus wont get ruined, however if you're trying to take a picture of the sunglasses, and you focus on the tree behind the subject, then yes things will be blurred.

Listen, I'm not going to sugar coat it, GO PLAY WITH THE CAMERA, It will all come to you I promise. Things like aperture which aren't easy to get your head around, might come more difficult... but stuff like how the camera functions will all be picked up if you play with it enough. Nobody masters the camera without spending a considerable amount of time just fiddling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:14 am 

Play with the camera! I am taking pictures everyday and I am now keeping track of the settings. I have so many photos, 98% of them rubbish, that I am not going to post on any forum or you guys would ban me.

When I think that I have captured a good image, I will post it.

Please know that I am thick skinned and can take your critique, so no harm no foul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:13 am 
What I meant was that, while I don't mind explaining how the focusing works, I feel that just reading it explained is nowhere near as beneficial as figuring it out on your own. Certainly nobody here minds answering questions, but in my opinion, knowledge gained from experience is all that counts.

So feel free to ask away any questions you have at the end of the day, but make sure its not a substitute for actually going out there and figuring it out on your own.