Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC

brand new entry level or used semi-pro?
Brand new entry level 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Good condition used semipro 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14 pm 

Hi there,
I decided to go for a dslr. I was thinking of something like Nikon D40/D40x, Canon EOS 350D/400D, Olympus E-410, Pentax K100D...
Then a friend of mine, not really a pro but a serious photography addict, told me I should better go for a good condition used semipro, some two-years old one.
He said the build (and overall) quality has nothing to do even with a new low budget dslr and that for a "amateur" use of the camera I could be satisfied with a 2nd hand camera.
Maybe something like a Canon 20D (I'm afraid a used 30D is still over the average budget!) with a really good lens or two decent quality lenses.

What are the downsides of the two?

What other 20D-like models that would fit to such a comparison come to your mind?

What's your answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:19 pm 

I don't have experience with the quality of used semi-pros.
But I'd say:
- If you can check the condition of a used camera in person, go ahead
- If you can't go for a new "consumer"-body of your favorite manufactureras oyu'll get the guaranty with it and certainly will not be disappointed.
- If something goes wrong with the used-one you don't know what's going on and what to do. If something goes wrong with the new-one, just claim your rights...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:22 pm 

I'd echo what Thomas has written. If you are going for a used semi-pro model then, if it's a private sale, make sure it has had a factory refurbishment just before you buy.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:57 pm 

I would only buy a used camera from a well known and quality store. So no private deal. Only guaranteed.

But then again, what's your "comparison" answer? You don't seem to answer from a "camera quality" point of view. You point out, and you're right, that there could be some kind of "collateal" problems if you buy a used item. This makes me guess my question is a reasonable question...

But, let's say, if the used camera was guaranteed, perfect condition and with a reasonable number of shots taken, what would be your choice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 pm 

Go for the used one (factory refurbished) unless it has already 100,000 shots.
In that case you're expecting trouble...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Hmm, that's a tricky one. If the used one is guarenteed and also doesn't have many shots taken on it, then it would be a good buy. But it depends who's been using it.

As the guys have said, pros tend to use their cameras a LOT more than amateurs and even a relatively new model could be approaching the end of its life. Most shutter blocks are only guarenteed for 100 to 150k shots, and while that could take a long while for even a serious amateur, it can be eaten through very quickly by a pro.

Most pros I've seen also knock their gear around quite a lot in the knowledge they'll be replacing it soon anyway. Chances are the wear and tear could be significant.

So I wouldn't buy 2nd hand equipment from a pro. But a careful amateur? Possibly...