Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Firmware Question
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:49 pm 

On the Olympus website there is a firmware support section. When I checked to see if my firmware was up to date I noticed that each update had either an Apple or Windows link. When I checked I chose Apple as I have an iMac and there were no updates. I then looked at the Windows link and found two updates, which applied to the same 70-300mm lens.

Why if I am shooting a photo with an E-520 not attached to any computer would Olympus update the lens for one OS and not the other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:27 pm 
find a friend with windows, install Olympus Master2 and update on their computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:44 pm 

Atomic wrote:
find a friend with windows, install Olympus Master2 and update on their computer.

I have a PC but I do not use it with my camera. I do not want to screw up my lens or make it PC only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 pm 
Stephensong wrote:
Atomic wrote:

I have a PC but I do not use it with my camera. I do not want to screw up my lens or make it PC only.

How exactly do you make a lens PC only?

Or the camera? I hate to be blunt, but don't be silly! If you connect the camera to a computer, the camera won't get "attached" the computer, its not a child :)

You're just using the computer to upload different firmware to the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:29 pm 

Not knowing how software works, I would hate to download something that would over-ride the Mac OS and make it PC only.

In the past I have downloaded items after which I was told "you should not have done that" and it cost me much bucks to fix the problem. I still have the non working hard drive as a reminder.

Its okay to be blunt.

Last edited by Stephensong on Fri May 29, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: I Agree
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:29 pm 
I agree. I've used my E-410 on multiple computers, and i even updated it through a PC. Its not attached to one or the other, and still works perfectly fine on my Mac, so don't worry about it.

Post subject: Re: I Agree
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 pm 

lsmaverick15 wrote:
I agree. I've used my E-410 on multiple computers, and i even updated it through a PC. Its not attached to one or the other, and still works perfectly fine on my Mac, so don't worry about it.

Thanks, I would rather ask first than buy replacement parts later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:55 pm 
Stephensong wrote:
Not knowing how software works, I would hate to download something that would over-ride the Mac OS and make it PC only.

In the past I have downloaded items after which I was told "you should not have done that" and it cost me much bucks to fix the problem. I still have the non working hard drive as a reminder.

Its okay to be blunt.

The only time this could ever be an issue is if you're using an iPod or something else with a hard drive that has to format in a specific type. Updating your camera with one or the other will not make the camera develop a liking to a particular OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 am 

Atomic wrote:
The only time this could ever be an issue is if you're using an iPod or something else with a hard drive that has to format in a specific type. Updating your camera with one or the other will not make the camera develop a liking to a particular OS.

Thanks for the info, my knowledge of computer stuff is just a notch above my expertise with a camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:35 am 
No problem, feel free to ask anything. We were all beginners at one point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:34 pm 
You can use Olympus Master with OS X, if memory serves me right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:28 pm 
PrinzMegahertz wrote:
You can use Olympus Master with OS X, if memory serves me right

Problem was that Olympus did not release the firmware updates for people using apple computers apparently.