Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:18 pm 

Hi folks,

Some of you might know that I've built a new computer and I'm now doing the hard work of transferring my software over from the old one - quite a lengthy task.

It's over four years since I last did this and, until now, I had not realised the significance of "activating" some software. It turns out that some vendors (Acresso and Adobe so far for me) actually require you to "deactivate" software on machine A before you can "activate" it on machine B. I'm all in favour of stamping out piracy but this policy does mean that the order in which software is transferred across has to be carefully planned. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 pm 

And that's exactly my issue with software activation and DRM.
Think about it: pirating the program is actually easier than buying it at this moment, even if you have already bought it! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:23 am 
Use Linux!!11!!!11!

Or go with the Mac where most things do not require activating. The OS itself doesn't even come with a serial number!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:04 am 

Quote:
It turns out that some vendors (Acresso and Adobe so far for me) actually require you to "deactivate" software on machine A before you can "activate" it on machine B.
You can also contact the software companies support lines to avoid doing this (although it can take a day or so for them to get back to you). There has to be a work around as if any machine with activated software gets trashed (e.g. motherboard or hard disk failure) then you have to have a way to activate the software you have purchased on a new OS build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:46 am 

Hi keystrokesuk,

That's exactly the route I had to take with InstallShield (Acresso). Uninstallation on the old machine didn't get logged on their activation server and it took three days and half a dozen emails to get it sorted. It didn't help that the original contact details and web pages offered when Internet activation failed first time around were out of date as Acresso had taken over from Macrovision.

Anyway, all's well that ends well but I'm now being careful to start any software before transferring it just to make sure there isn't a "deactivation" option somewhere in the menus. That worked well for Adobe and, of course, they produce software that many of us here use. :idea:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 am 

Hi folks,

Just a quick update on Photoshop CS4 deactivation and activation. I finally got around to reading the product licence today and I note with pleasure that one can actually run one copy on two computers. In my case that means I can have Photoshop activated on both the old and new machines which will make transferring those custom settings across a lot easier. Not so convenient, of course, should you routinely use Photoshop on two machines already.

But, of course, the "gotcha" is that you can happily install and activate Photoshop on a new computer (assuming that this is only the second time you've installed it) and then trash the old computer without first deactivating Photoshop on that machine. The only way you'll then be able to exercise your normal right to have a second copy of Photoshop installed, on a notebook computer say, is probably be asking Adobe very nicely and seeing if they'll agree.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:07 pm 
I'm a bit worried about this too. I just bought Lightroom 2 and will be getting a new laptop soon. I already run Lightroom 2 on my desktop and want to run it on my laptop too, but I have a student license and think it's limited to one machine.

I think it's utter nonsense to disallow people who bought the software to use it as they please. This isn't cheap software and can easily be downloaded from the net for free. I think they should reward honest customers instead of punishing them for the actions of others. What's the problem with one person using it on multiple computers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:53 pm 

This thread sprang to mind as I finish off setting up my new desktop. I have two applications which use activation: Photoshop Elements 9, and DxO Optics Pro.

Adobe's system allows two activations. You can deactivate an old one to set up a new install elsewhere. Which is exactly what I did with Elements 9. The new install activates for you at some point in install so I didn't have to manually do that.

DxO was a little different. They also allow two activations, but there is no method to deactivate an old one. I installed it on my new desktop and entered the key when prompted. Hitting the activation button, it replied I had used up my quote as expected. There was a button to request another activation. That took me to a web form on their site asking for my e-mail, password (as set up when I bought it), current key and a box to say why. I filled all that in, and almost instantly got a reply saying I have been granted another activation. The key was still entered in the software so I only had to hit activate again, and I'm in. Given the speed of approval, I don't think it was a human decision, but that might not be the case if you continually request activations...

Now I have the fun of configuring their interfaces exactly how I like them...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:52 pm 

Another DRM/activation failure here.

I have legal MSDNAA access, but someone decided it would be a great idea to revamp the web interface and freeze all the user accounts, requiring some magic token key for access, so I couldn't request a serial.....

I could of course have contacted support, but once again it would have been easier and faster to get a key from less legitimate sources..... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:24 pm 
If the old computer is disconnected from the Internet then who would know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:49 pm 
Blindasabat - There's a point of ethics there. When you pay for proprietary software, you do not buy the software - you buy the right to use the software. If you doubt that, check a Microsoft EULA, sometime...

Adobe says - 2 installs - but both not to be used simultaneously. And by opening the sealed package, you've agreed to that. Point taken...?

And yes - I do very much like to be able to put Applications / Programs - on as many PCs as I wish to - including those of friends. And I do so - most happily - without offending my own standards - or anybody else's. I've been a Linux user for quite a few years.

I can indeed install a new Linux version on my PC, with the hundreds of programs, tools, utilities, etc it comes with, add many more programs, set up wallpapers and layouts across a half-dozen Desktops - then do a ReMaster of that entire fully-functioning install - and put the ReMaster on a DVD, or these days, usually a flashdrive - then copy that entire "install", ready-to-go - onto any other PC... (By itself, or as a Dual-Boot with Windows.) Without offending anyone at all...!

(Just re-read that - not very clear! A ReMaster of a working system, contains the same Installer as the Live-CD you write from the downloaded ISO. The ReMaster boots to a Desktop in RAM - the same as the CD.)

If folk want "free" without using the Linux O/S - there's plenty of it - including graphics apps, OpenSource, ported to Windows, or Cross-Platform.

And if you DO want more than 2 installs of Photoshop - you can do it legally - I have 1 Photoshop-7 kit bought when I was still in the PC business, 2003, at trade discount - and a kit bought very cheaply years later. That gives me 4 x legit installs - so long as I don't run more than 2 at once - without offending Mr Adobe! :)

Yes - Photy-7 runs beautifully under Wine in Linux - in a main install - or as installed in a Guest System (Windows or Linux) running as a VM in (also legit-free) Virtual-Box. In that case - I might have 2 instances of Photy open at once - one in the Main Linux system - the other in a Guest system in VirtualBox... Hence the purchase of the second Photy-7 CD.

- And no, Mr Adobe indeed wouldn't know if that was 2 x instances from the same CD, open and running at once... But - I would...

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:51 am 

its lso possible to block the activation servers so you could still get it running if you have problems