Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 77
Armanius wrote:
Congrats on the purchase!! Feel free to post any questions you have, even if they are noobie questions. Most people in this forum are very helpful (unlike some other forums that shall remain nameless).

The lens hood is to avoid flare ups from excessive sunlight. I rarely use it, but I really should.

Where did you touch the lens? Or the front end, or on the back, where the lens attaches to the camera? If on the front end, you can use a soft lens cleaning cloth. Just make sure that the cloth itself and the lens don't have any specks of sand or anything abrasive on them, or else, you can scratch the lens. If it's on the back end where the lens attaches to the camera, I have no idea how to clean that area.

On the second photo of the building and flowers, you may want to increase the apperture so that more of the photo will be in focus. Check out Gordon's tips:

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_to_take_landscapes_with_lots_in_focus/landscape_large_depth_of_field.shtml


Thanks for the kind words.

I touched the lens on the front, not the back. I can't see any spots on the pics, so many I was lucky. I'm aware of the sand corns etc. scratching the lens.

As for the apperture: Yes, I know increasing it, might have been good but I couldn't be bothered at the time.

I'm going to a friend, this weekend: he's also into photos as a hobby (he's a Canon-guy though :twisted: ) And I'm hoping he can give me a few tips.

My Flipside 300 arrived today as well. Except having to "bend" the lowest part of it a little in order to access the bag easy, It seems nice and it's nice to have all camera gear stored in one bag.

I will get back to you with more pics after the weekend :D

_________________
Olympus E-520 with 14-42 & 40-150 mm. kit zoom
Red Lowepro Flipside 300

To come:
Tripod

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 pm 
nicolaidenmark wrote:

I touched the lens on the front, not the back. I can't see any spots on the pics, so many I was lucky. I'm aware of the sand corns etc. scratching the lens.


You generally wont see spots on the lens in your pictures, however if theyre there, they ARE effecting the photo. Making it softer, or messing with your metering. Just get a microfiber cloth and wipe the end of the lens gently.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 77
Atomic wrote:
nicolaidenmark wrote:

I touched the lens on the front, not the back. I can't see any spots on the pics, so many I was lucky. I'm aware of the sand corns etc. scratching the lens.


You generally wont see spots on the lens in your pictures, however if theyre there, they ARE effecting the photo. Making it softer, or messing with your metering. Just get a microfiber cloth and wipe the end of the lens gently.


No lubricants?

_________________
Olympus E-520 with 14-42 & 40-150 mm. kit zoom
Red Lowepro Flipside 300

To come:
Tripod

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 pm 
nicolaidenmark wrote:
Atomic wrote:
nicolaidenmark wrote:

I touched the lens on the front, not the back. I can't see any spots on the pics, so many I was lucky. I'm aware of the sand corns etc. scratching the lens.


You generally wont see spots on the lens in your pictures, however if theyre there, they ARE effecting the photo. Making it softer, or messing with your metering. Just get a microfiber cloth and wipe the end of the lens gently.


No lubricants?


For just a small smudge? No, a microfiber cloth will be fine.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 77
Atomic wrote:
nicolaidenmark wrote:
Atomic wrote:
nicolaidenmark wrote:

I touched the lens on the front, not the back. I can't see any spots on the pics, so many I was lucky. I'm aware of the sand corns etc. scratching the lens.


You generally wont see spots on the lens in your pictures, however if theyre there, they ARE effecting the photo. Making it softer, or messing with your metering. Just get a microfiber cloth and wipe the end of the lens gently.


No lubricants?


For just a small smudge? No, a microfiber cloth will be fine.


Ok, any microfiber or the most gentle available?

_________________
Olympus E-520 with 14-42 & 40-150 mm. kit zoom
Red Lowepro Flipside 300

To come:
Tripod

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 24
Location: Temecula, CA
nhorz25 and nicolaidenmark, I too recently purchased an E-520 with the kit lenses. This is a very good camera; however, the learning curve is a bit long. I just keep on shooting and monitoring the settings and it seems that progress is being made. I just received a new lens, 50mm F2.0, yesterday and what a difference from the 14-42mm.

Keep shooting and congrats on the new cameras.

_________________
Gear: Nikon D90, 18-105mm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 77
Stephensong wrote:
nhorz25 and nicolaidenmark, I too recently purchased an E-520 with the kit lenses. This is a very good camera; however, the learning curve is a bit long. I just keep on shooting and monitoring the settings and it seems that progress is being made. I just received a new lens, 50mm F2.0, yesterday and what a difference from the 14-42mm.

Keep shooting and congrats on the new cameras.


Cheers, I was (and am still) ready for the learning curve (that's why I bought it 8 months before I really need it :D And congratz on your macro lens!

_________________
Olympus E-520 with 14-42 & 40-150 mm. kit zoom
Red Lowepro Flipside 300

To come:
Tripod

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:16 pm 
nicolaidenmark wrote:
Ok, any microfiber or the most gentle available?


Any microfiber cloth will be fine I think, but obviously the softer the better. Anything that comes with glasses or lenses should be perfect. In a pinch, I've used a cloth that came with my iPhone which seemed a bit more coarse than lens cloths, but it worked just fine.

Buy a UV filter [just a clear filter] for protection of the lens and never take it off. However you're using just the kit lenses, and although important, are not exactly all that valuable, nor of the most superior optical quality. I still recommend a UV filter for any glass you have, however it wont be the end of the world if you get one of the kit lenses scratched.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group