Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Thanks gang!
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:24 am 

Really appreciate the votes folks ... many thanks.

So ... you're saying "be gentle with me" regarding the June task eh?

Hum?

Well, I'm a bit ambivalent about the next topic, I want contributors to move outside their comfort zone, but not so far that the task seems impossible and puts them off. We need to have a bit of fun along the way too.

I know that one cannot please all the people all of the time but let me run these preliminary ideas past you and see what reaction we get:

Topic 1) To quote Mr. Spock: "It's LIFE Jim ... but not as we know it"
Here we are on good ol' Planet Earth surrounded by familiar sights that we all know and love, but imagine that you've been dropped onto a distant planet and are confronted by all sorts of unfamiliar stuff. Your Mission (if you choose to accept it) is to photograph familiar sights in such a way that they appear other-worldly or Alien. Energetic and creative PP positively encouraged. Is this too mind-boggling?

This idea floated into my head after a visit to our local beach. I photographed some kelp and then started playing with the shots, the image below is Posterised in PS and I reckon looks like something left behind by a visiting flying saucer.

Topic 2) "Defying Gravity". Speaks for itself really ... looking for serious shots rather than 'jokey' ones (people holding up the leaning tower of Pisa etc). Is this too free and easy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:28 am 

Congratulations on your win, mikeroch.

Really do like your first proposition: the alien-like , other-worldly appearance as I am excited to see the results in photos.

regards,
HTG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:02 pm 

Defying Gravity for me. Sounds like a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

I like the first idea, although I don't think we necessarily need heavy PP - it could work like those 'what's this?' contests where something familiar is shot in such a way it's not immediately recognisable...

'making the familiar unfamiliar'!

Post subject: JUNE TASK : 'ALIEN'
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:51 am 

JUNE TASK : 'ALIEN'
Normal rules apply: 500 pixel longest dimension, taken in the month of June, state Post Processing and technical details of exposure, lighting and equipment.

“Making the familiar unfamiliar”... Remember those TV quiz-show questions “what is this object” An inexplicable image slowly zooms out until someone recognises it and hits the button. June's task is similar, but with a Sci-Fi twist.

Choose a subject and photograph it in such a way that it looks alien, surreal and other-worldly, something you might have spotted on a distant planet. Challenge the viewer so they really do have to scratch their heads, but so that with a little effort the subject is ultimately plain for all to see. I’m looking for strong visual impact and powerful imagery, cunningly framed and craftily presented … but without totally obscuring the original source. You are encouraged to insert a URL link to an unmodified image to show us how you have manipulated it into its final form.

POST PROCESSING: The image should be a single exposure but may be manipulated and modified in any way, but with this caveat … Don’t over-do the PP and kill off a good idea by the excessive use of technology!

Last edited by mikeroch on Thu May 28, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 am 

I think this could be the most "fun" assignment since I've started visiting these forums :D

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 pm 

Great topic. Let's see how "strange" it can get.

regards,
HTG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6