Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:06 pm 
Thanks to the review about the olympus E-520..

i just bought one from ADORAMA with 14-42 & 40-150 lens..

The moment the battery was fully charge i took a sample of a picture but i was surprised about the file...i took 1 then i got 4 result with differnt colors...what should i turn off...im 100% new in using dslr..i into point and shoot..

need help here.... :?:

thanks

Last edited by nhorz25 on Thu May 28, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:34 pm 
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the Cameralabs forum! The E520 is a great camera, but it will take a while to learn all there is to learn if you have never used a DSLR before. I got my first DSLR in January 2009, and I am still a total noob.

What do you mean by getting 4 result with different colors? Did you mean that you took one photo but there were 4 photos all with different colors when you were reviewing the photo through the E520's LCD screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:43 pm 
I took 1 picture but when i play it i saw 4 pictures(the same) but with different colors..

help please..

I bought my E-520 in adorama last memorial day because i was encouraged by your review..

what should i do about it..help please..what should i change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm 
If multiple photos are coming out with one single press of the shutter, then your E520 is probably set on continuous shutter. The button that controls the "drive" mode is on the top of the camera, to the left, just below the flash control button. You want to switch it to single shot mode.

If you are getting different colors, your E520 might be set on "WB bracket." WB stands for white balance. Different WB settings will make the image differ in color, because the camera is trying to adjust the colors based on the different lighting situation (i.e. sunlight vs. incandescent indoor lighting vs. cloudy). Sometimes a photographer may not be 100% sure on what WB to set his camera on. So he will use the WB bracket option to take a series of photos of the same image with different WB settings. The control for WB bracket is in the menu somewhere ... can't describe it off the top of my head now, b/c I don't have my camera with me. Maybe someone else can help on this one until I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 pm 
These are the result of the 1 picture i took this morning...i was trying to play with the menu i think i messed up the WB bracketing...thank you so much for taking time to response my query..i just choose some of the pictures to post in flcker..

so my problem is "WB bracketing..."

(i deleted the pictures)

Last edited by nhorz25 on Thu May 28, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:34 pm 
You have whitebalance bracketing turned on,
Go to Menu, Camera Menu2, WB BKT, turn both R and G to off.

WhiteBalance bracketing takes a single photo and applies different whitebalance settings to the RAW file when converting to JPEG.

If you do not know any of those terms, you should google them, you will need to get familiar with camera terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 pm 
thanks..i set it already...now i know how to use the WB bracketing to check the shot i will take...

i get what you mean.. i dont have to google it..

you guys are great... :D

im satisfied with my my slr because of your review.

and i do really believe that,visiting this site will help me a lot and improve my knowledge in using slr...

problem solve hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:01 pm 
Glad we could help. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:26 pm 
thank you for the help..it really helps...

this site is very informative..

:D

i need to know how to use my cam with 40-150 and blurring the background..

like taking pictures of birds on the bird feeders and flower like the macro style...

im teachable and a fast learner :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:50 pm 
Check out this tip from Gordon about blurring the background (aka bokeh):

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_to_take_portraits_with_blurred_background/people_small_depth_of_field.shtml

The "tutorials" tab in this site has a lot of other tips on photography techniques. Don't forget to check it out.

Enjoy the new camera!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 am 

Congrats on the camera! I got the exact same kit and I'm also learning how to use it. I'm on day 3 now lol! I think the E-520 is a great camera albeit I have nothing to compare it to. Check the dvd that came with it, has a lot of useful tips on it as well. :)

To come:
Tripod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 pm 

nhorz25 and nicolaidenmark, I too recently purchased an E-520 with the kit lenses. This is a very good camera; however, the learning curve is a bit long. I just keep on shooting and monitoring the settings and it seems that progress is being made. I just received a new lens, 50mm F2.0, yesterday and what a difference from the 14-42mm.

Keep shooting and congrats on the new cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:55 pm 
i took these 2 pictures yesterday after watching gordon langs video about blurring the background..using my 40-150...then following his advise in lowering the aperture

comments are very much welcome...

still using the same lense and trying to make the pictures look like MACRO but it seems that i didnt get it...need macro lense for these...either the 35mm or 50mm wish list hehehe

Last edited by nhorz25 on Thu May 28, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:00 pm 
nicolaidenmark and stephensong...

congrats too in having your new E-520 with your lenses...

I'm learning a lot of things by means of reading the forums and watching the video here...

*nicolai im gona download the disk that comes with the camera so that i will learn how to use it too....

im really saving for the 50mm f2,0...coz i l love natures and small animals...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 pm 
nhorz25 wrote:
i took these 2 pictures yesterday after watching gordon langs video about blurring the background..using my 40-150...then following his advise in lowering the aperture

comments are very much welcome...

still using the same lense and trying to make the pictures look like MACRO but it seems that i didnt get it...need macro lense for these...either the 35mm or 50mm wish list hehehe

i've taken some very up close shots with the 14-42mm. if you want to do macro on a budget, i'm told the zuiko 35mm macro is perfect. i've seen some excellent results with this lens. based off those results i highly recommend it.