Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fxxfd series differences
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:33 am 
hello

can anyone tell me please the differences between

F31fd
F40fd
F45fd
F47fd
F50fd

apart from the megapixels
any benchmarks?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:20 am 

Hi miller,

That's a huge question in such a short post. :!: Feature comparison can easily be done four at a time at the Fujifilm UK FinePix Digital Cameras Product Range site.

Comparative reviews are much more difficult because even with sites that have tested all of these models testing methodologies and/or reviewers tend to change over time.

Are you thinking of buying one of these? Do you have any tasks you would like the camera to do particularly well?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:31 am 
Hi,
I think that they are all from the same line of cameras and you have listed them in the order that they were released, F31 being the oldest and the F50 being the latest. You view some side by side comparisons on some of these models here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:55 am 
unfortunately the comparison offered in fujifilm.co.uk is totaly useless

you can only see the specs of each camera and then compare them by yourself, and I see the are no differences apart from megapixels (only F31 has ISO 3200 and only xD cards)

as for
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php? ... =2242&ph=2
I can't really draw a conclusion from so small and so few crops

I am really interested in one of these: F40, F45, F47, since F31 is obsolete and F50 is too noisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 pm 

miller wrote:
I am really interested in one of these: F40, F45, F47, since F31 is obsolete and F50 is too noisy

Oh well, at least we're down to a choice of three now. :?

I have probably just duplicated work you have already done searching for a site which has thoroughly reviewed all three of your short-listed models and drew a blank. Forum members who own one of these cameras will chip in, I'm sure, but in the meantime there's a review of the F40fd over at Trusted Reviews.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:47 pm 
miller wrote:
hello

can anyone tell me please the differences between

F31fd
F40fd
F45fd
F47fd
F50fd

apart from the megapixels
any benchmarks?

thanks

F31fd is the best camera of the listed group straight out. The F4x series would be next in terms of image quality and high ISO capabilities. The F50 is a very nice camera on paper but the quality at and above ISO400 is extremely poor compared to the class leading F31. If you can find a new or refurb F31 online, pick it up right away and you won't be disappointed. You'll probably be able to sell it at a profit a year or two from now because of Fuji's moronic move to joining the megapixel race.

Another note on the F50 is the vertical banding issue at higher ISOs and in darker situations. You can see it on some ISO 400 images but if you do anything in 800 or above it's very noticeable and highly disturbing. You can push the F31 to ISO 800 without much of a problem, and easily hit ISO 1600 in a pinch for every day images of friends/family unless you're a pixel peeper.

The F40 is a nice camera, kind of in the middle between the F31 and F50. It doesn't have Shutter/Aperture priority modes though like those cameras. Has more pixels compared to F31 so noise is about 1 stop worse than the F31. Still pretty good to ISO800 though. If you can't find an F31 go for the F4x model as long as A/S priority aren't super critical. Hope this helps.