Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Recession?
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:36 pm 
This was taken out of complete boredom...comments welcome as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:57 am 
Heheh Ed,

Boredom? you? hard to believe :-)

Nice subtle shot with interesting lighting. At this size I can't really see if it's toned B&W shot or if it's the green-yellowish light that gives the cast. I'm just curious.

I also think that the surface-foreground may appear a little too subdued at this size. But I can imagine that in full-size/full-screen the subtleties come across a lot better.

The DOF seems razor-thin. Interestingly the coin leaning against the stack in the back, is sharper than the sides of the stacked coins, although it's further away from the front of the stack...did you use some blurring or digital bokeh on this one?

Interesting to see what comes outta boredom - not bad at all!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 am 
LahLahSr wrote:
The DOF seems razor-thin. Interestingly the coin leaning against the stack in the back, is sharper than the sides of the stacked coins, although it's further away from the front of the stack...did you use some blurring or digital bokeh on this one?

Thanks for your comment. You're absolutely spot on. The edges of the British pound coin just doesn't have an "r", hence the resort to what I've done. It was difficult other than to apply a quick mask and then lens blur to make the certain letters I wanted stand out. Not quite natural in that sense, but it was taken as a bit of fun.

The lighting was one halogen lamp shot through diffusing material to camera left, and the exposure manually set 2 stops below the meter reading. It's a full colour image, though the tones were deliberately shot to be muted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:46 pm 
Hi Ed,

funny - and a bit embarrassing (to me): I did look at your image for quite a while - but I completely missed "the point"..lol. Only now do I realize the arrangement of the letters!

A classic case of not being able to see the forest for all the trees!

I think that I was looking at the image as a "sculptural piece" rather than something that also held a literal component and only connected to your title symbolically, so to speak. I saw a small, lonesome amount of money "in the darkness" as the being what conveys recession.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:23 pm 
LahLahSr wrote:
I think that I was looking at the image as a "sculptural piece" rather than something that also held a literal component and only connected to your title symbolically, so to speak. I saw a small, lonesome amount of money "in the darkness" as the being what conveys recession.

Funny you should say that - it was that thought that was behind my choice of composition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:11 pm 
Time for a non-moderator to get in this discussion (ha ha)

Bored?! How can you be bored when you're busy on the Camera Labs forum all day? :lol: