Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm 
Hi all,
I am planning to set up a home studio to take product photos that are to be put up at a web site. I am thinking about the right sort of equipment and could use a little advice.

I have an EOS 40D and been planning to buy a macro lens. I was thinking of getting either the EF-S 60mm or the EF-100 but I think I'll go for the 60, because 160mm might actually be a bit impractical and I am not planning to shoot insects and stuff, so working distance is not a big problem.

But, lighting is. I have an old 420EX Speedlite.
I don't really want to buy huge studio lights and two options sprang to my mind,
1)To get the MR-14EX Macro ring lite and use that to get my product shots
2)to get 550EXII and use it with the 420 as a slave and light with those.

The products are electronic cigarettes and their cartridges. (www.sedansa.be for my previous work on the old models =)

Am I thinking in the right direction?
All help is much appreciated.
all the best,
Erinc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Erinc, there are many approaches to studio work, but you can get away with surprisingly little. I have taken many product shots in the past with little more than a kit lens stopped right down, and the product balanced on a small pillar, itself on a sheet of white card curved up at the back. Two lights at roughly 45 degree angles can illuminate it pretty well and let you make fairly easy cut-outs.

Indeed some companies offer studios-in-boxes which are basically fishtank sized affairs with the curved card and built in lighting, ready to go! You'd be surprised how good the results can be from something like this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:38 pm 
Hi Gordon, thanks for the reply.
I think I can built a 'light box' at home or get something like this.

I was planning to get a macro lens anyway (still struggling between EF-100 and Ef-S 60 though, I think I'll just try them on and then decide).

How would a macro ring lite flash perform in creating the evenly distributed light required?
Am I just trying to reinvent the wheel and should just stick to 2 conventional light sources?

Thanks again for the assistance!
Erinc.