Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kriss, I'm afraid I don't know any camera stores in Las Vegas - sorry!

I'm sure there's one or more downtown though.

Unless you actually want to try it in your hands though, why not order it online?

And if your Dad's buying you one, remember to ask him to get the AF-S version.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:54 pm 
Ok thanks ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:30 am 
Ok do i tell my dad to ask the people for a AF-S Version?
Btw, what does AF-S stand for? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:52 pm 
What does AF-S stand for. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

AF stands for Auto Focus and the S means it has a Silent Wave Motor - ie the focusing motor is inside the lens.

Older Nikkor lenses were actually focussed by a motor inside the camera body. The D40 is the first Nikon DSLR which doesn't have this internal focusing motor, which is why it will only auto-focus with lenses which have the built-in focusing motors. That's why it needs AF-S models!

There's some extra info on Nikkor lenses here:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/technolo ... /index.htm

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:53 pm 
Ok thanks for info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:04 am 
Hey Gordan, have you heard of Casey's Camera's people say thats a good store for cams if you know what it is can you give me a link to there site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kriss, nope not heard of them and they're not listed on the reseller ratings website either. I did find this page of comments though:

http://lasvegas.citysearch.com/review/7031929

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:32 pm 
Gordon, can you please tell me what lens to buy, is this right,a Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S for the Nikon D40 is that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kriss, yes, as far as I understand it, the Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S should work fine on your D40.

Here's the full name, and I've linked it to the Amazon page in case you want to see it there - or indeed buy it from them!

Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR

As I'm sure you've noticed, there are cheaper Nikkor 70-300mm models available, but none of them have AF-S, which means they won't auto-focus on your D40 - again, as far as I understand it!

If it makes you feel better though, the AF-S model also has VR (anti shake), and that's a feature well-worth having on this kind of lens.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:30 am 
The D40 will only auto-focus with 'AF-S' Nikkor lenses, and some of those lenses we've talked about are only 'AF' models. This means they won't auto-focus with your D40.

does this go same with d80?if the lens doesnt have af-s it will not auto focus with d80 also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:37 am 
if the lens is af and not af-s it will not auto focus?so this means itll always be on a manual focus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi Donpakundo, don't worry - the D80 can auto-focus with non AF-S lenses as it also has a focusing motor built into its body.

The Nikon D40 and D40x are the first Nikon DSLRs which DO NOT have a focusing motor built into the body, and hence require lenses with built-in focusing motors - ie the AF-S models.

It's a bit of a pain for D40 and D40x owners, but then it helped keep the cost and weight down.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:25 pm 
well that's a relief.since im thinkin bout switching to nikon,even if nikon d80 is expensive, it is worth every penny.Is that right? :P i juz need to sell my brand new canon 400d and save some more to buy nikon d80 hehehehehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi donpakundo, the D80 is certainly a better overall camera than the 400D, but the picture quality is pretty much the same and it's also more expensive.

Unless you can get a good price for your 400D, or are really desperate to get hold of the Nikkor 18-200mm, I'd stick with it perhaps until the next generation of bodies arrive. The D80 may be classier, but the 400D is still a great camera, especially if you couple it with a decent lens like the EF-S 17-85mm.

Hang on, I'm now talking about Canon in the Nikon forum!

Gordon