Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:12 pm 
ok, i'll post a HDR Merge tutorial in Adobe Photoshop CS3. First of all, I wan't to say that's i'm sorry for those who have slower internet connections. I'll post the pictures at a pretty big size so you can see the menus and everything.

So:

first of all, we have 3 exposures of the same scene (3 raws):

so, we have the 3 exposures. launch PS CS3 and then launch the hdr merge automated process in ps here:

from the file browser, select the 3 raw files. if the shots where made handheld, check the "Automatically allign pictures", otherwise you can leave it unchecked (it's faster and only when using a tripod, like me). click ok and then wait a few seconds/minutes (depending on the computing power). you'll get something like this:

click ok, and you'll have this for now:

now, the image is represented in 32bit floating point, that's way beyond what a jpeg can save and the monitor can display. there's aprox the equivalent dynamic range to a human eye. we'll have to make the tone mapping and conversion for out hdr.

to do that, click here:

from 32 bits we want to convert it to 16 bit (tiff format). later we'll do the 8 bit conversion, but that's pretty much nothing compared to 32 -> 16 bits.

so you'll get something like this:

as you can see, the picture is pretty much flat in terms of lighting because there the same amount of detail everywhere (shadows, mids, highlights). so here we make the tone mapping. select the "local adaptation" menu' and look at the tonning curve. when it's straight, the picture looks "flat". to "fix" that, we'll "throw" away some detail in shadows and highlights. so, we'll make the curve looking like this:

it's still looking a bit "flat" but we'll fix that in post-processing. click ok and then wait for photoshop to make the hdr conversion. what you have now it's a 16 bit image that we'll post-process.

first, duplicate the base layer and on the duplicate apply a "adjustment layer, channel mixer". check monochrome, and input the following values for RGB: 54, 54, 32. select ok and set the blending option of the layer to "multiply". then press "ctrl + shift + alt + E" on the top layer to flatten what we've got so far.

then, image -> adjustments -> shadows/highlights tool, with a value of 50% for shadows. click ok.

it's still looking a bit dull but we're fixing that right now, before we're done:

duplicate the top layer, apply a high pass filter (filter -> other -> high pass) with a radius of 80px (depending on the image size) and set the blending option of the last layer to "soft light". this will give the image contrast and texture.

flatten the image, change the mode from 16 to 8 bits and it's ready to be saved as a jpeg.

the final result, following the steps i just wrote above can be seen here:

hope this will come handy to many of you. i like PS better than photomatix because it's much easier to keep the noise in control and get much cleaner images.

sorry again for the high res pictures, hope it'll be ok.

Cheers,
HNV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:09 pm 
Hi HNV,

Really an easy method of HDR with PS- CS3. I was looking for such a tutorial. happy that i got it now. Thanks for it. :)
Any idea of how to do with JPG? will the result be same.

Yeah... i can do it but i'm without my camera now to try these.... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:38 am 
This is very nice. I don't seem to get the HDR Conversion window after changing from 32bit, is this maybe a feature of extended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 pm 
Hi,

swame_sp, to do it with jpgs, instead of selecting the raw files from the file browser, just select the jpgs.
doing it with jpgs will not render the same result as a RAW file contains more dynamic range as a jpg file. you can try though with more jpgs, let's say 5 to 7, exposed at 1EV steps. (0, +/-1EV, +/-2EV, +/-3EV). doing so you could obtain similar results, or even better i think.

i'm using PS CS3, not CS3 Extended, so i don't think it's a feature of Extended. be sure that in "Merge to HDR" window, the bit depth is set to "32Bit/Channel". i didn't make HDRs in other versions of PS so i cannot say for sure what your problem is.

Cheers,
HNV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:30 pm 
Thank you HNV....

I just did a sample try by capturing just from my room window....
However it was not so dreamy or to my taste liking....

As you said i could try with more exposure....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:49 am 
thanks for the tutorials guys.... ive been trying to learn how to do this stuff for a couple of week should have checked here first :? what a pudding i am :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:25 am 
my first official try i like the idea of hdr and finally know what the BRKT button is for on my d90 :lol: i had a play for about a hour last night cant wait to give it another go sometimes though i find using two images works better than 3 depending on what final effect you want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:24 pm 

This is my first propper attempt.

i used 7 images from -1 through to +1 and this is what i got..

for me the colours are too bright and it looks too fake, but it was my first go.

Am i doing it right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:38 pm 

This was from one single JPEG. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 pm 

i also had another go and made this..

into this...

any tips greatly wanted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:14 am 

Looking good everyone, although the result can be described as "fake" for most shots. This could very well be the effect you're after, but I prefer a more natural look. and I kind of failed trying to do so:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:37 am 
Has anyone been using Dynamic-Photo HDR?
http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/version4.htm
Would be nice if someone has been using Photomatix Pro and Dynamic-Photo HDR could give input.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:47 am 
Yes i use nice.... Do u ask me any question about this:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:00 am 
Hi Aidan. If you have used both, any pros and cons for each program you can share please?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:32 am 

I have bought DP-HDR. Having tried the demo versions of both it and photomatrix, I found the interface of DP-HDR friendlier. I still haven't had much of a chance to give it a really good use yet.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next