Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:38 pm 

Yeah I know that they can run much faster than any human and also climb trees a hell of a lot faster than expected. So really there's no place to hide. Is it true that if they do get up to you and start attacking that it's best to play dead? I've heard of people getting attacked and right when they gave up and went limp the bear walked off.

Personally I'd rather rely on a large caliber pistol or pepper spray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:48 pm 
i think playing dead depends on the bear (how hungry he is) and on the situation...my guess is that even if you play dead, the bear would still inspect you by maybe jumping on your chest/back and maybe even claw you...and you wouldnt want that happening lol 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 pm 

Photo Addiction wrote:
i think playing dead depends on the bear (how hungry he is) and on the situation...my guess is that even if you play dead, the bear would still inspect you by maybe jumping on your chest/back and maybe even claw you...and you wouldnt want that happening lol 8)

I think I'll just keep my distance lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:02 pm 

Pepper spray is the best tactic against bears.

Black bear are less prone to attack. I was playing golf a couple weeks a go and we saw a black bear observing us at the 10th tee off. I think he stayed there for like 30 minutes glancing at players without making a move. Unfortunately I did not carry my DSLR with me that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:14 pm 
i saw this show on discovery recently where they placed some dummies inside a tent and waited for bears to come by...turns out that a bear came and dragged the whole tent with him for many yards and left the dummy twisted (if a human was placed there, he would have no chance of escape)

if you ever think of running, i think its effective if you run in a zig zag pattern...cause the bear is heavy and would have difficulty making tight zig zag turns...of course, lions or leopards are completely different...it wouldnt work on them...would only work for big, heavy animals (even then i wouldnt recommend running cause an animal's main instinct would be to hunt you, thinking youre easy prey)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:28 pm 

Photo Addiction wrote:
i saw this show on discovery recently where they placed some dummies inside a tent and waited for bears to come by...turns out that a bear came and dragged the whole tent with him for many yards and left the dummy twisted (if a human was placed there, he would have no chance of escape)

if you ever think of running, i think its effective if you run in a zig zag pattern...cause the bear is heavy and would have difficulty making tight zig zag turns...of course, lions or leopards are completely different...it wouldnt work on them...would only work for big, heavy animals (even then i wouldnt recommend running cause an animal's main instinct would be to hunt you, thinking youre easy prey)

The zigzag pattern have been busted by Mythbuster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:37 pm 
really? wow...running wouldnt be a good idea in the first place anyways :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:43 pm 

Photo Addiction wrote:
really? wow...running wouldnt be a good idea in the first place anyways :wink:

Nothing beats the can of mace. You won't hurt the animal and most importantly it will give you a chance to get out of the way.

In the GVA ( Greater vancouver area), Golf course are a rich source of wildlife, I have seen Deers, Coyotes, Bears, rabbits, gophers etc..and I didn't have my camera with me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 pm 

Guys....

I sure wish those bears would come after me....
It would make gettin better pics alot easier :lol:
Symtex...you need to take the camera golfing orrrrr go to the golf course and take pics instead of murdering that ball!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:41 am 

She had a cub as well but hard to make out... figured I took these pics at about 350 meters... wish I woulda brought my kayak...

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:26 am 

Good grab.
I spotted on the other day standing upright on the edge of a chopping.
Too quick for me as once it dropped down in the new growth...no way.
All the cornfields are plowed under here now.
Lots of Greenbins getting tipped now that usually means a death sentence for them :cry:
Lets hope the weather stays good and something else comes available for them ...real... soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:37 am 

kpr wrote:
Good grab.
I spotted on the other day standing upright on the edge of a chopping.
Too quick for me as once it dropped down in the new growth...no way.
All the cornfields are plowed under here now.
Lots of Greenbins getting tipped now that usually means a death sentence for them :cry:
Lets hope the weather stays good and something else comes available for them ...real... soon.

this was the first time I was in prince albert national park.... kinda surprised me how spooky the animals are there considering the size of the park... seen another bear as well on the road on its hind legs but at about 500 meters (all I saw was a black speck which all a sudden got a lot taller so I figured it got on its hinds to look my way) it bolted.. and I mean bolted... no sign of it when I got to where it was ... not even a noise in the bush of it moving.. got out and walked the road about 100 yards in each direction to see if I could hear it but no way.. long gone... most other parks that size they tend to wonder off slowly... at least in my experience.

I was so focused on the gal above that I missed a small hawk swoop down and grab a mouse or something about 6 meters away from me.. just heard the noise then seen it fly away into the bush.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:47 am 

Got this one this morning.
It busted me at a distance and moved off to the treeline and plunked itself down.
I stood for about 10 minutes waiting for it to continue eating but,it just sat there....
I figured after 10mins of the Mexican standoff I "might" be able to advance.
One step fwd and it was gone!!
Right in that hole in the woods just as I suspected :roll:
I couldn't find my shooting stick this morning so these are feehand...grrr!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:18 am 

shooting stick =s monopod?

he's eyeballin ya good in the last pic 8)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:55 am 

Yes shooting stick = monopod only using the shooting stick which is made for a rifle is alot cheaper and works just as good.
Available at Canadian Tire for about $20

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=401771

Eyeballin' me?
Think he was sayin ... "just one more step buddy and I'm gone"
Shame too as if thats a regular there it would become used to me approaching and realize I'm not a threat after a few more attempts..maybe even the next one and I'd get alot closer.
Back to work this morning though :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next