Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which lense to buy ???
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:02 am 
I think it is time to invest in some better grade lenses. I own E-500 and E-520 and the lense kit I bought when I got E-500 (14-45 and 40-150).

I live in Canada and this is choice that I am thinking of:

1) 12-60mm that cost 1100 in few local stores or
2) 14-54mm AND 50mm prime that each cost 550 or 1100 together.

I love shooting all kind of photos including portraits, different cities and architecture, nature and animals, even birthday parties or other house gatherings....basically I bring my camera everywhere I go.
Reason I got E-520 two weeks ago is because I thought I needed the IS feature but now I see that larger apperture might be better investment, since I am still under the same limits: low light = slower shutter speed needed = blurry photos.

So what would be better deal here ?
I would reeeally like to get that 24mm equivalent mostly due to my holiday travelling and ability to include more of the object when the need is there. It's just the damn price that I am having problem to justify it to myself.

On the other side I got 14-54 which are basically same focal length as my 14-45 (for longer I would just use my 40-150), but better lense overall.
Is this quality justifying the expense?? I can understand if I didnt have the 14-45 and then to invest in this lense, but since I already own the kit lenses...
Main thing basically is that I am afraid if I buy the 14-54, I wouldnt ever justify the 12-60mm since at that point I am just doubling it up.
Then at the end of the story are 50mm I so much heard about. I believe that even I get 12-60mm now, this prime will stay on my shopping list.

So what do you people suggest ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:22 am 
Hi darkesha

Can't really go wrong with the old 14-54 IMHO, can buy at Henrys in Canada for I believe under $500 now.....the f2.8 is wayyy more flexible in lower light than the kit 14-42, but the 14-42 is nice to even throw in a pocket when you are expecting to use mostly a longer tele.

The other thing to think about is filters.... 14-54 and 50-200 both use 67mm .I believe 12-60 uses 72...no biggy if you use a Poloraizer, you'll just need a steep down ring for other lenses, but something to be aware of.

No doubting the 12-60 is an excellent piece of glass, but so is the 14-54 and 2mm @wide and 6mm @ tele is not enough to justify the extra cost, weight IMHO.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:57 am 
14-54 and 50 vs. the 12-60 alone ... hmmm ...

I like my 14-54, but frankly, I can't say that it's a whole lot better than the kit 14-42. I'm not sure how the 14-45 compares with the 14-42, but I am assuming that they are about the same in terms of IQ. Is the 14-54 better than the 14-42? Yes. Is it $450 better? Hmm ...

On the other hand the 12-60 (by what I've seen/read from other people's photos, reviews, and by what people say) is head and shoulders better than the 14-42. I think the 2mm in the wide end would make a huge difference, and so would the 6mm in the long end over the 14-54. The 12-60 supposedly has a much faster AF too.

I totally understand what you are saying in that IF you get the 14-54, then it would be hard to justify the 12-60 later on. I feel that way right now, even though I picked up my 14-54 (used) for $280.

If I were you, I'd get the 12-60 now. And then later on, get the 50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:11 am 
The 12-60 is phenomenal. And the zoom range is a huge difference from the 14-42, the 2mm wider angle is very noticeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:32 pm 
I went to the store to test them all, and 50mm left the biggest impression.
So fast and so sharp. And soooo small (physically).
And chep.

I will most likely get that one and mount it on E-500 permanently and have E-520 with either 40-150 or 14-45 mounted depending on what I do at the moment.

12-60 is just tooo expensive and I cant justify it just yet.

Most likely I will get it used :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm 
You can't go wrong with the 50 macro. It's one of the "must have" lenses in the Oly lineup along with the 12-60. It is also arguably THE sharpest lens out in the market, so I've heard and read. :) I need to add that to my lineup too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 pm 

I would take the 12-60 and when u have that one there is not much need to buy the 50 mm. 12 mm is nice to have and it's a very good lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:29 pm 
Wouldn't it be great to be able to afford at least one of each?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:57 pm 
I've yet to try the 50mm, but IMO the 12-60 will be far more useful. 50mm on a 4/3 body is 100mm eq, a bit too much I think. It would make a great portrait lens, but certainly its usefulness in everyday situations will be limited. Remember, you can always crop a picture that wasnt quite as much telephoto you needed, but you cant edit in things that fell off frame because your lens wasn't wide enough. 50mm is more telephoto than either kit lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 pm 
darkesha wrote:
I love shooting all kind of photos including portraits, different cities and architecture, nature and animals, even birthday parties or other house gatherings....basically I bring my camera everywhere I go.
Reason I got E-520 two weeks ago is because I thought I needed the IS feature but now I see that larger apperture might be better investment, since I am still under the same limits: low light = slower shutter speed needed = blurry photos.

I'm in a similar situation, and in Canada as well, but my research to date has pointed to the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM.

It is comparatively affordable at around $400 USD. While it may not be the same quality as the 50 f/2, I thought that was more than offset by versatility it'd introduce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma_30mm ... C_HSM_lens
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/30_14_ex_dc_hsm
http://www.dicksonphotography.co.uk/Dic ... a30mm.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm 
Let us know how the Siggy 30/1.4 turns out. I was considering that too. Would love to see some samples of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:01 am 
Is that 35mm prime also a Macro Lense ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:31 am 
darkesha wrote:

The 35mm 3.5? yes it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:57 am 
darkesha wrote:

If you were referring to the 30mm Sigma then no.

The reproduction ratio is 1:10.4, and it focuses at about 1.25' or 40 cm. Having said that here's few example links of people using it for macro "ish" work:
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w= ... pus&m=pool
http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/30mm-f14.htm#macro

FYI you can find a lot more shots on that flickr group link if you drop the Olympus search term.

Armanius - I don't have the lens yet... but will probably over share if I do. To make sure it's not an impulse buy I'm trying to make myself play with manually focusing an older 28mm f/2.8 before I plunk down the $ for this Sigma lens. Just got my first dSRL(E-510) this week and want to move slowly for now .