Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Room with a view!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:05 pm 
Hi all,
Currently traveling in a place called Sanya, which is on Hainan Island in the very south of China. It's on the same latitude as Hawaii and is known as "Oriental Hawaii" for its year-round sunshine.

The place is gorgeous and I've been taking pics left, right and centre! I'm trying not to put all my eggs in one basket by shooting all different kinds of pics depending on the scene. Some Raw, some normal and some HDR of course :)

Obviously won't be doing all the processing till I get back, but I couldn't resist playing around with a few! This one is called "Room with a view" and it was the view from my hotel balcony this evening at sunset. Not a bad view huh :)

I remember Gordon once mentioning in a thread about Asia being great for sunsets and I'm hoping to get some good ones here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:05 pm 

Go ahead Mark. Looking forward to further shots :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:27 am 
nice, I think its time for me to scratch some money together and go on a holiday :D You twisted my arm mark :P hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 am 
Nice one Mark
Hope you can catch more and show us what you find there.
Hainan Island - my ancestral home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:33 am 
Back home now and I've uploaded my pics of Sanya to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chinamark/ ... 044837932/

I miss the heat, the sun and the sea already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:18 am 
Nice love the landscape photos..
I did noticed that most of your shots, people were missing, did you put up a barricade or something when taking photos ? Except for Tianya Haijiao
Or better yet, did you rented the whole hotel ! :lol:

Swimming pools shots looked like something out of a brochure ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:19 am 
LOL, it was just a very quiet time of year and still the end of rainy season....and cheaper :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:35 am 
It must be nice having the hotel almost all to yourself. :) You mentioned that you were hoping to get some nice sunsets, did you manage to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am 
Sadly no :( There was one nice one on one of the first evenings, but even then, it wasn't a great one and every night after that it was really disappointing. On the last day the sun had been shining all day and I thought there was going to be an amazing sunset. As the sun started to go down, I went down to the beach and just wondered around waiting for the sky to suddenly became ablaze in shades of reds and yellows and oranges and nothing happened! The sky went a very faint pink colour and then the sun just seemed to disappear.....huge anticlimax :(

I think it must be the time of year for that part of China because the days just seemed to start off hazy and end hazy and in the afternoons it got really cloudy so no great sunrises and no great sunsets.

I guess I'll just have to go back there again in sunset season :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:19 am 

Great set, Mark. Love the colors of this one: www.flickr.com/photos/chinamark/1941953822
Did you tweak them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:36 pm 
Did I tweak them? How dare you! I'm a purist photographer :lol:

Seriously though, tweak would be a huge understatement as this has been tweaked to the ultimate and bears little resemblance to the original 3 exposures that went into the HDR final. The pics were taken handheld and it was windy so even with a tripod the trees would never align, but I was so determined to get at least a couple of HDRs out of this trip that this one turned into a bit of a labour of love, or rather a vendetta, and once I started tweaking it, I couldn't stop :)

I really like the colours too and the way the sun is reflected in the sea, but this is one pic that is really best viewed from a safe distance and not scrutinised to closely :)

Thanks for your compliment though, I'm really pleased with the way a lot of the pics came out on this trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:17 pm 
Looks like your hard work paid off, it looks really nice and so are the other photos on your flickr page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:30 pm 

Hi Mark,

I just took a look at your Flickr gallery. Great photos of Hainan you've sold me on the place. I especially like the sculpted rocks on the beach. It looks like a good place for a beach vacation. Any diving nearby?

We're living in Taipei and might make this our next vacation although I think I'll try and avoid it for the CNY holiday. I bet the crowds get crazy around CNY.

-steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:44 pm 

Very nice work. The shot Thomas highlights is a cracker. Wish it was my own. Really well done mate.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:58 am 
Thanks for all your feedback guys, much appreciated :)

To Steve,

Yeah, Sanya is a great place for a beach holiday, in fact it's great if you just want a really relaxing, do nothing, chill out break or if you want some adventure. One thing I really wanted to do but didn't get to do on this trip was to venture into the rainforest in the centre of the island so I probably will go back at some point in the future as it's not that far to travel to from where I'm based.

You can go scuba diving everywhere! I've never done it before and didn't try it this time but I would be tempted to take a few lessons and dive there. I think the best place in Sanya for diving is a place called Dadonghai although I didn't go there. In all the main places like Yalong Bay, Tianya Haijiao & Wuzhizhou Island there were people diving. Probably really cheap to dive here too....it is China after all :)

Definitely avoid CNY....I hate traveling anywhere at that time! The largest migration of people on earth at any one time of the year and you can bet a lot of them are heading for the warm south and probably Hainan :)