Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 am 
Does the rule of no post-processing from the previous assignment still apply?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Graham, that's really up to the person (or persons) who set it, so I'll hand that over to Thomas and Luis.

Personally speaking, I'm happy for post processing to be allowed so long as the software and processes are described in the submission. Since we're likely to have dedicated processing topics in the future though, I think it best to keep these 'normal' themes to as little post-processing as possible.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:21 am 

This maybe isn't the place for it but I have a fundamental problem with that rule.

Zorro :x

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:42 pm 

I'd say: process to your heart's content. But Gordon: You should fix the rules on postprocessing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm 

I suppose it could depend on the assignment, e.g. night shots might need a great deal more post processing than other types of shots etc. Perhaps the rule should go on a By Assignment Basis, or NOT ALLOWED unless otherwise specified? (Kind of off topic sorry)

Anywho, can't wait - take it this ends next Thursday since It doesn't officially start till tomorrow?

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:33 pm 
On the other Monthly assignments I've seem / done. Post processing is fine, but only to a certain extent. Nothing extreme :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:23 am 
antman wrote:
On the other Monthly assignments I've seem / done. Post processing is fine, but only to a certain extent. Nothing extreme :)

I think thats fair, compromise on both ends. Not no post processing but no excessive post processing.

For example when you open a RAW file and the basic editing options open maybe that should be as far as one can take it, and like wise with settings for jpeg. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:49 am 
Site Admin

I don't mind post-processing so long as the person explains what they've done.

I think we'd all accept a bit of post processing, but nothing over the top, unless the theme that month was specifically about post-processing.

Ultimately no-one's going to be rejected if they submit something heavily post-processed though.

I'm also happy for whoever sets that month's theme to specify if they don't want much processing, or don't really mind.

Gordon

PS - we will have HDR as a theme in the future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:58 am 
Hi
I thought the plan was to get people to do 'assignments' on certain subject(s) or theme(s). It would be nice to see plenty of post-processing, (not that I do :roll: any heavy post-processing) but ultimately the goal is to met the assignments. So whether you are a purist photographer like Nathan or heavy post users - HDRs subjects, I think it would be interesting to see the diverse submissions.

So my thoughts - submit anything but those with heavy post-processing, to comment on what was done, you can chose to omit it, but I think the general audience here in 'Cameralabs.com Home' can see thru it. :wink:

:idea:
Instead of one submission, how about 2 ?
It will let those who prefer little post-processing to see the works of others and .. who knows enhance their skills too and submit another ?

After all there are no prizes in this, but just an opportunity to show-off or show-case your works ?

I think my brain is having a time-off, I'll stop here before I shot myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 am 
Site Admin

I have nothing against post processing!

Ok, so how about post-processing if you like, but just mention what you've done so we can all learn from different techniques and approaches?

PS - I've split this conversation into a separate thread as it's become a general discussion about post processing and isn't specifically about November's theme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:28 am 
I think post processing to remove noise, adjust white balance etc. is fine. Just nothing to the extent that the shot has changed completely. I still don't know whether its allowed though, have we decided or are we still debating on this? I'm sorry if I raised this issue in the wrong place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:16 am 
http://www.rapidhost.co.nz/~antman/gal/

How about that? PM me for admin password if you wish to upload to it. Has a back end FLASH uploader. Let me know.

-Ant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:36 am 
this is like cable tv. when you have to many channels to choose from you never decide what to watch!

Gordon, I think its best if you just decide for everyone or the matter (to take a line from the movie Kenny) will out last religion. hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:20 pm 
I'm very glad that there is still all this interest on what started to be an idea to get us all out there taking pictures and comparing results - and hopefully, learning from each other.

Originally, the objective was to focus the difficulty - for lack of a better term - on that instant when you're holding the camera in front of your subject. That's it, that's a real life situation: you're in the field, about to press the shutter release, alone with your gear.

You have to make it happen with what you've got. That is to say, you have to have the technique and the appropriate equipment to deliver the result as you intended it. But most of the time, you will neither have such detailed technical knowledge, nor the expensive equipment to do that - you make the best of what you have at the moment and learn from it. You will improve. Next time, you will do better.

This was and still is, in my mind, a test to the person who is holding the camera, not to the camera itself and not to the editing software.

Because it's the photographer that counts.

While we do want as many participants as possible, we can't please all the people all of the time, so some sort of compromise is needed.

There are very few times when a photo comes out just the way we want it straight out of the camera. So some light editing is required. This doesn't change the essence of the photo, it merely masks some of the mistakes that we made or some of the limitations of our equipment.

If I was to list what editing I'd think is fair, this was what I'd write down:

crop
    rotate
    resize
    adjust brightness
    adjust lighting
    adjust colour saturation
    adjust colour balance
    apply black and white or sepia filter or other filter
    adjust sharpening

No area editing / selective masking should be applied. That is to say, each effect should affect the entire photo.

Of course, depending on which parameter you change, there is a limit to what is "light editing", so use your own sense.

Participants who want to do heavy photoshopping still can, of course. I would suggest a "light edit" version, posted on the forum thread (so that that's their assignment entry) and a "final edit", available via link, to show how they intend that photo to look after processing. This in itself can act as a learning experience for all, as it showcases what photoshop can do.

We could try this approach and see how it goes. Again, not all people can be pleased all the time.

This is all, of course, just my personal opinion.

Last edited by luis on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 pm 

Hi luis,

I like your list of "light editing" options, though maybe colour balance could be added? If it isn't overcomplicating things may I also suggest that "light editing" should not include use of selective masking (e.g. to selectively treat separate parts of the photo).

Your options have the advantage that most, if not all, can be performed with software supplied with the camera and none need expensive software so that helps level the playing field.

And there is nothing to prevent some assignments being set where no "digital darkroom" tweaks are allowed at all...

Bob.

EDIT: Clarification of what I meant by masking.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.