Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie in DSLRs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:28 pm 
I love photography and I was hoping to get a DSLR from an upgrade to a DSLR. And I'm not sure what brand should I get? And I don't have much experience in DSLRs. I have been looking at the Canon Rebel 400D and the 350D. I also saw the review on the new Nikon D40. I know I should get the D40 since I'm probably going to be needing help will I'm taking pictures. So I was wondering if you guys can help decide what camera I should pick?

Abel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Abel, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

If you're a complete DSLR beginner, the Nikon D40 is an ideal choice. It gives you loads of help and explanations as you go along. And if 6 Megapixels aren't enough for you, go for the newer D40x version which has 10.

That said, modern DSLRs are clever enough to deliver great results when you set them to their Automatic 'Program' mode, indicated by the letter P on the dial. So if your heart's set on another brand or model, you'll still get great results from it.

As for making a final choice, make sure you pick up each camera in person to see which you prefer in terms of look and feel - this is really important.

Let us know how you get on,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:12 am 
But Gordon, when I buy technology I sometimes regret not buying the more advance one. And I also held the two cameras and the D40 has a much better setup of the menu than the 400D. Like you said in your review the Nikon lenses have IS on their kits. So I might be going for the D40x and thanks for all the help!

Abel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:28 am 
Site Admin

Hi Abel, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Nikon kit lenses have IS! None of the Nikon kit lenses have IS!

If you want IS on a Nikon or Canon lens, you'll need to pay more for an IS version. If you're going for a Nikon body, the 18-200mm VR is great, and if you go for the Canon, the 17-85mm is great - both have stabilisation.

But if you want a more sophisticated camera and can afford the D80, it's a great model to go for. I think it would take someone a while to outgrow the D40 though...

Gordon