Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zoom lens for 350d
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:58 pm 
Can anyone using a 24-105mm l series lens on a 350d give their verdict on it as a general use zoom please ? I have read Bob andersons posts which recommend it, but cannot decide whether it outperforms the 17-85mm for the same task ? I am thinking about purchasing one but want to be certain due to the cost of the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:16 pm 

As you have noted, I am very pleased with the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM but I use mine on a 400D. Gordon's review of the lens at
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon24105mmL/index.shtml
used a Canon EOS-5D body. Have you checked it out?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 pm 
Thanks Bob. What is the lens like at 105mm end, given the additional 1.6 correction factor ? Is the angle of view at 105mm narrow ?

Thanks, simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Simon, next time I have the 24-105mm in my hands I'll perform some testswith a cropped-frame body like the 350D or 400D, but in the meantime, there's two major things going in its favour over the EF-S 17-85mm:

1: It's designed to deliver good performance right up to the edges of a full-frame sensor. This means it should perform great on a cropped sensor body like the 350D or 400D. It also means it WILL work on a full-frame body should you buy one in the future, unlike an EF-S model.

2: It's an 'L' model, which is means it's part of Canon's high-end lens range.

Now it's important to realise L models aren't always better in every respect, but one of the biggest differences you'll notice between any of the current EF-S range an L lens is the build quality and zoom / focusing rings. The former is of a higher standard and the latter generally feel much smoother.

Since the 24-105mm peforms very well on a full-frame body, I'd say it should be excellent on a 350D / 400D, and my guess is it should out-perform the EF-S 17-85mm, although as mentioned earlier I'll plan some tests to measure it.

The major thing the 17-85mm has in its favour is wider coverage. It zooms-out to 28mm, whereas the 24-105mm on a 350D / 400D would only zoom-out to 38mm. Personally speaking as a wide-angle fan, that'd be a deal-breaker for me - unless of course I also had a wider lens to go with it and didn't mind carrying it and swapping them. Would you miss the wide angle on this lens? Only you can say!

Are you able to go into a store with your Canon body and fire off a few frames with the 24-105mm to try it out?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:38 am 
Hello Gordon, thanks for the comments. I have searched every site i know of and cannot find a comparable review between the 17-85 and the 24-105 so its good to see the comments you mention.
I have a 17-40mm l series lens already which I find an excellent lens at its 17mm end but does not give me the reach at the 40mm end. I agree the l series lenses are excellent in build quality and for this reason am looking at the 24-105.
I am hopefully going to try one out today on my 350d so will see how it performs at the 105mm end. :)

best regards,

Simon