Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:22 am 

hi all,
im new to this forum and also dslr.

first of all, i would like to thank cameralab. it is really a good site, it helps me alot on buying a dslr, i read the "best buy" section and the reviews are very detailed and helpful.

i finally narrow down my choices to pentax k200d. but it is a little over my budget: the lowest price i can get for a bundle kit, that has a k200d body, a 18-55mm lens and a 8gb sd card and a case, is over $600USD.

due to my budget, now im looking at the k2000(or k-m) which is identical or similar to k200d(in many ways), but cameralab has not yet review this camera, and i want to hear more from ppl who are experts(or whoever knows more than i do on dslr) about the pros and cons of k2000 and the comparison of the two cameras.

im look forward to your advise. so please help me.
thank you in advance!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:31 pm 

their main differences are the price, size/weight, auto focus points from 11 to 5. top lcd screen, weather sealing

k2000 is more consumer friendly (who don't know anything about aperture, shutter speed and other technical details). It scene recognition and many scenes mode.

the iso sensitivity range is increased to 1 stop from 1600 to 3200.
But in practice, 3200 maybe too bad to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:45 pm 

K200D...hands down for my kind of pic taking (wildlife)
Myself if I had to choose I would wait the bit extra and save up a bit more $$ and go for K200D.

Funny actually cause I'm in that process of "waiting/saving" right now...lmao :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:22 pm 

Enche Zein wrote:
their main differences are the price, size/weight, auto focus points from 11 to 5. top lcd screen, weather sealing

k2000 is more consumer friendly (who don't know anything about aperture, shutter speed and other technical details). It scene recognition and many scenes mode.

thanks for your reply.
the difference u mentioned are basically similar to what i found on cameralabs. despite the size/weight, do u think the difference of af points, the lcd, and the weather-proof design will really make k200d that much better than k2000? in another word, dose it worth to pay that much more to buy a k200d instead of k2000 due to the three major differences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:27 pm 

kpr wrote:
K200D...hands down for my kind of pic taking (wildlife)
Myself if I had to choose I would wait the bit extra and save up a bit more $$ and go for K200D.

Funny actually cause I'm in that process of "waiting/saving" right now...lmao :lol:

im in the same situation too! but i think it will take pretty long for a dslr to have a price drop. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:17 pm 

I think it does justify the price difference. In the end you'll probably end up saving some cash with the k200d because the body will last you longer without needing to upgrade.

The k2000 is a very consumer-friendly camera. It would be a great starter-DSLR for anyone completely green to the photography world. The k200d is a better choice, however, for those who are thinking they'll progress/advance with their photography.

Don't get me wrong- The k200d is a friendly camera for beginners, too. It still has the scene pre-sets and an intelligent auto mode. BUT- It also has more flexibility in it's other modes, and will allow you more control over the composition and quality of your photographs as you improve and your skills progress.

In addition, the superior build quality of the camera and weather sealing add to its potential longevity. It's a camera that you'll be able to get a lot of use out of for a long time. The other difference between the two cameras, the top LCD on the k200d, is something I LOVE and utilize all the time. It makes it extremely easy to set/check settings when they're listed right there on the top of the camera!

Good luck with your decision, and let us know how you get on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm 

jaxzwolf wrote:
I think it does justify the price difference. In the end you'll probably end up saving some cash with the k200d because the body will last you longer without needing to upgrade.

The k2000 is a very consumer-friendly camera. It would be a great starter-DSLR for anyone completely green to the photography world. The k200d is a better choice, however, for those who are thinking they'll progress/advance with their photography.

Don't get me wrong- The k200d is a friendly camera for beginners, too. It still has the scene pre-sets and an intelligent auto mode. BUT- It also has more flexibility in it's other modes, and will allow you more control over the composition and quality of your photographs as you improve and your skills progress.

In addition, the superior build quality of the camera and weather sealing add to its potential longevity. It's a camera that you'll be able to get a lot of use out of for a long time. The other difference between the two cameras, the top LCD on the k200d, is something I LOVE and utilize all the time. It makes it extremely easy to set/check settings when they're listed right there on the top of the camera!

Good luck with your decision, and let us know how you get on!

I think the weather sealing is a great thing to have too. and so is the LCD, it is a very handy feature . thank you for your suggestion!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:47 am 

Wow a month ago I was in your exact shoes.

First I had a problem deciding between Canon and Pentax then deciding between the K200D and the KM.... here's what happened with me..

The KM is the newer camera however It is quite a bit smaller and lighter. It has a very friendly menu and control options and was designed for the user to use it with one hand if they chose to do so. In Canada the price of the KM is $599.00 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

The K200D has more to offer such as tougher build quality being completely weather sealed (if used with a sealed lens), better photo editing in the camera, a wonderful anti-dust system and of cource the top LCD display and the 11 point focus as Zein said compaired to the 5 point on the KM. The K200D in Canada is $699.00 w 18-55mm kit lens.

In my opinion, you need to hold each camera to see what feels right. I was really set on the KM until I held it. I have bigger hands so it felt like id be struggling with the buttons etc. Then holding the K200D it was heavier, and bigger grip. Plus for the extra $100 I got so much more in a camera. Im not telling you to buy the K200D but I am telling you that choosing a camera is like buying a car. You wont know until your in the drivers seat.

Welcome to the world of Pentax by the way and to Camera Labs forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 am 

the market price is pretty efficient (economic principle) so yes it will worth it.

But it depends on your need. do you need those extra benefits?

vic386 wrote:
Enche Zein wrote:

thanks for your reply.
the difference u mentioned are basically similar to what i found on cameralabs. despite the size/weight, do u think the difference of af points, the lcd, and the weather-proof design will really make k200d that much better than k2000? in another word, dose it worth to pay that much more to buy a k200d instead of k2000 due to the three major differences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 pm 

Slick3358 wrote:
Wow a month ago I was in your exact shoes.

First I had a problem deciding between Canon and Pentax then deciding between the K200D and the KM.... here's what happened with me..

The KM is the newer camera however It is quite a bit smaller and lighter. It has a very friendly menu and control options and was designed for the user to use it with one hand if they chose to do so. In Canada the price of the KM is $599.00 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

The K200D has more to offer such as tougher build quality being completely weather sealed (if used with a sealed lens), better photo editing in the camera, a wonderful anti-dust system and of cource the top LCD display and the 11 point focus as Zein said compaired to the 5 point on the KM. The K200D in Canada is $699.00 w 18-55mm kit lens.

In my opinion, you need to hold each camera to see what feels right. I was really set on the KM until I held it. I have bigger hands so it felt like id be struggling with the buttons etc. Then holding the K200D it was heavier, and bigger grip. Plus for the extra $100 I got so much more in a camera. Im not telling you to buy the K200D but I am telling you that choosing a camera is like buying a car. You wont know until your in the drivers seat.

Welcome to the world of Pentax by the way and to Camera Labs forums.

Thank you so much for you reply, it's great to hear someone who has the same experience before. I think I'm more sure about which one I should get now.
but one question, why is that 11pt AF system still matter if we use full manual mode?? well, basically, i dont really understand what it does :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:38 pm 

maybe im begging the question:
if those features worth the $200 price difference, I think I will still pay for it, if not, i may just go for k2000.
thanks for your opinion! :)

Enche Zein wrote:
the market price is pretty efficient (economic principle) so yes it will worth it.

But it depends on your need. do you need those extra benefits?

vic386 wrote:
Enche Zein wrote:

thanks for your reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 pm 

You need to hold each camera and see for yourself. The price difference is well worth it for the extra's however if your hand fits better on the KM then go with that. Let us know what you decide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:49 pm 

Slick3358 wrote:
You need to hold each camera and see for yourself. The price difference is well worth it for the extra's however if your hand fits better on the KM then go with that. Let us know what you decide

That would actually be a very good idea, but im buying it online, and im just a newbi, even if i got to hold them both in my hands i cant really tell which one fits me better.

anyway, thank you for those gave me a suggestion, i just bought my k200d today, and probably will get it in a few days. since that i will probably be around for a longer while for help. again thank you all who helped :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:30 am 

vic386 wrote:
i just bought my k200d today,

Good choice.......AA batteries and weatherproofing, plus room for creative growth with the body as you learn.
A zoom in the 16-105 range with f2.8/ f4 would be nice but I don't see one in the line up...........perhaps next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:29 am 

I don't think you'll be disappointed Vic.
Notice a new green banner in my signature since last post here? :D