Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:05 am 
Hello from Detroit, Michigan,

I really enjoy this site Gordon and appreciate all of the time that goes into Camera Labs' reviews and information. I particularly enjoy the thoroughness of the reviews here. I'm hoping that you or someone with experience here can lend me a hand with this purchase.

I'm looking for one good lens to finish off my kit (and buying spree) for awhile. I purchased a Canon 400D last October and have been happy with it so far with the exception of the kit lens' image quality. I own one other lens for this camera; the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I mainly use it for sports and it seems to do the job for the most part and its price range. Now I want to replace my kit lens with a really good all purpose lens that will give nice close-up portraits and group indoor shots along with the ability to capture outdoor landscapes. I've resolved to spending over $1000USD if it means that I can produce superior quality images and take my amateur photography to the next level. I plan to use this setup for many years to come.

I read your review on the 24-105 lens but I wasn't sure what conclusion to draw from it since I don't own a full frame body. How much of a difference in image quality and real world usability will I experience with either the 24-70 or the 24-105 on my 400D? I realize that the 24-105 features IS which is nice, but it's not required in my book. Wouldn't the f2.8 offer me more options in a variety of situations? With that said I suppose the extra zoom of the 24-105 would offer a different set of options. Does the Canon EF-S 17-85mm lens figure into this discussion at all or is it's quality well below that of the 24-70 and 24-105 lens? Is there another lens that I should be thinking about also discussing these?

I'm currently leaning toward the 24-70 lens because of the f2.8 glass and image quality over the 24-105 in some tests shots in the 24-105 review. Any insight anyone can provide me with will be greatly appreciated?

Thank you very much for your time and response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:08 am 
Site Admin

Hello there cbhiii and welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

It sounds to me that you're after a good quality general purpose lens, so I'd think carefully about the range you're after - remember your 400D / XTi will effectively multiply all focal lengths by 1.6x, so the 24-105mm will act like a 38-168mm and the 24-70mm will act like a 45-112mm.

Neither will offer true wide angle on your body, so that's what you'd be sacrificing by going for them. They are both great quality lenses though!

If you do want a general purpose lens with true wide angle for your body, you'd be best off going for something which starts at the 17 or 18mm focal length. The EF-S 17-85mm is an automatic choice, but if you're after a step-up and like the sound of f2.8 aperture, then the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 may be a good bet.

Check out these articles if you've not read them already:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon1755EFS/

and

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

In the meantime, Cameralabs forum member Bob Andersson went for a 24-105mm to go with his 400D and seems delighted with it!

See: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88

Bob, are you still convinced it was the right choice, or are you missing wide angle coverage?

Gordon

Post subject: Re: 24-105mm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:58 pm 

Hi Gordon.

For me the EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM was absolutely the right choice for my 400D body. It is still the only lens I use with the kit lens never having been used. I hardly ever wish for anything wider or longer. As you say, it all boils down to individual need.

Perhaps I can turn the question around and ask "if a wider lens is needed would you need the longer focal lengths as well"?

If the answer is No then maybe the 24-105mm is not a good choice.

If the answer is Yes then I guess the decision to buy two lenses makes itself, budget permitting.

Has CameraLabs been able to get its hands on the new Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM yet? Given that I would only consider an EF lens that would be my lens of choice if I was in the market for a wider/faster lens to complement my 24-105 but I think the price might be a stumbling block.

Bob.

P.S. I wonder whether a few of the old EF 16-35mm f/2.8L lenses might be available at knock down prices now that the new one has been announced?

Post subject: 24-105mm lens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:25 pm 
firstly I would like to thank Gordon for all his assistance today in setting up my account !
I appear to be having the same issues as a good few people in selecting the best general purpose lens to use with a 350d/400d camera. I have a 17/40mm lens which is excellent for short range work and am considering the 24-105mm lens to use as a longer range zoom. After reading bobs comments I think this is a wise choice but wish for a second opinion - if anyone could offer one please ?.

Post subject: A different direction...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:38 am 
Thank you both Gordon and Bob.

I took your advice Gordon and researched further as to what kind of lens I really wanted (or needed) and my research took me in a slightly different direction than I was expecting.

After reading your reviews and some others on the 17-85 and 17-55 Canon lenses, I stumbled onto the Cannon EF-S 10-22mm lens. I continued my reading and started asking myself about what kinds of shots I would get from this and if I really had a need. As it turns out I do have a need for such a lens, more so than replacing my kits lens with a similar reach though better quality lens. The ability to take wider and more creative shots is very appealing at this time me. I think this will help with some of my cramped indoor shots as well as my planned scenic shots I'd like to take when I travel to San Diego next week.

So that's the direction I chose. I bought it, a hood and thin Hoya filter for protection. It should be here Monday and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again!
-Chuck