Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: whats the best setting?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:25 pm 
i have been trying this still life thing and can't seem to get it right , whats the best setting ,A,S,P OR Manual mode or auto, for instance have been trying with 2 apples with a black back ground

i have no pictures to show because i delete them once i view cause they are no good ,,any ideas and or suggestions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 pm 
It's difficult to offer any advice if you don't specify the problem. Are they blurred? Try shutter priority mode and a fast speed. Are they poorly defined? Try improving the lighting. I would avoid auto as the camera may choose different settings for each pic. I think aperture priority is the way to go to maximise lighting with a wide aperture and get the dof you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:11 am 
manual exposure,spot metering, meter for the light on the apple..

adjust the shutter speed to a couple stops, then the rest with aperture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 pm 
palakaboy wrote:
manual exposure,spot metering, meter for the light on the apple..

adjust the shutter speed to a couple stops, then the rest with aperture.

Erm, please excuse me lowering this so drastically but I need to ask for help on the most basic level. I've nailed the first two steps ;) but wondered if someone could kindly explain to me in pure simpleton terms what 'meter for the light on the apple' means and how to do it.

Also, I understand what is meant by adjusting the shutter speed / aperture by a couple of stops (I think!) but could you give me some examples of 'good' settings please. I'm not doing this under ideal conditions - it's almost midnight and I only have energy saving bulbd in the house, so the lighting isn't great. I have a couple of lamps to direct light but not sure how to go about doing so.

Apologies for the ridiculousness of all this, but I get overwhelmed by all the terms and it would really help to just have it written down in the most simple terms. Thank you very much! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 pm 
Apologies for hijacking the thread, should I have started a new one - or perhaps just added to the 'daft questions' one?

Anyway, I forgot to ask what adjustments would need to be made if the surface of the subject was particularly shiny? Thanks :)